What Would You Do If The Cake Was Wrong?

Lounge By jennifer22780 Updated 26 May 2011 , 8:20pm by jennifer22780

jennifer22780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer22780 Posted 25 May 2011 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 15

ok, so my sister decided to have a (supposedly) reputable bakery do my niece's first birthday cake. I was so heartbroken she didn't ask me, but i was assuming it had to do with my brother in law, and such.
anyway, my sister sent me the picture of the cake she was getting. she gave the bakery a copy of the picture toput with her order. it was to be iced in buttercream- a 2 tier cake, with numerous lollipops stuck into the bottom tier, and polka dots on both tiers (those out of fondant). then a white icing border around bottom and top of each tier. also, fondant curly ribbons coming out from the top of the cake. very detailed, and cute. the only difference was she wanted it done in pinks, reds and whites and the pic had multi colors.
so, they deliver the cake the night befor ethe party, and she refused delivery. apparently it was NOT BC.. the entire thing was coveredin fondant. and, looked nothing like the picture. so she told them they had until 10am the next morning, and they agreed.
the next day, she accepted delivery for yet another incorrect cake. it looked like all they did was reice the cake, and they used a spray gun of some sort to put stripes on the bottom tier. the top tier had absolutely nothing other than a number "1" on top. no border on the edges, nothing. he top tier looked completely unfinished. and the entire thing looked nothing like the cake in the picture she supplied. t there was a border on the bottom of the top tier though which was cute, but nothing else, and still nothing at all ike the picture. so my sister called the bakery hoping to get some sort of refun (partial) for all of the things missing from teh cake. now i knew they werent going to, especially after all of the fondant was tossed after they screwed up teh first time. but they ended up getting into a heated conversationa nd my sister finally just hung up. i feel bad, but at the same time, my sister should have asked me to do it- but my bro in law is just viscious about anything to do with me. anyway, what you you bakery owners do, if a cake was sooo incorrectly done. granted, my sister should probably NOT have accepted it the second time if she was that unhappy with it, so i am not sticking up for her - i dont think a refund should be given considered she accepted it the second time,, even though was unhappy at that time. she is more upset because she re-submitted the picture to them on saturday so they would be able to do it correctly.....and they still didnt get anything right other than the lollipos. (sigh) of course i have to hear it from her, but i am just a hobbyist here! who wouldve done her cake-correctly-for free!

14 replies
AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 25 May 2011 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 15

Wouldn't have happened to me. I wouldn't have taken an order for something like that to be done in BC when it clearly should be done in fondant. They would need to be ok with having it fondant. (For cripes sake, peel the crap off cause there's just as much bc underneath). The other parts about it being wrong, again, wuoldn't have happened because I'm so panty-wad tight about my contracts and nailing every single detail down to a tee, that I prevent these things from ever happening. Period. End of story. Sorry about the cake, I'd be pissed.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 15

Sorry that this happened to your sister, but if the cake was still wrong at the time of delivery that would have been the time to speak up either to the delivery person or calling the shop to find out what happened. I do believe that your sister should get some sort of refund or discount for the cake being wrong twice. I had a cake that I couldn't get an element for in time and I let the customer know and refunded what I felt that missing piece was worth.
Your sister should call the bakery again and speak with the owner or manager about her issue with the cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 15

If it was indeed totally different from what she ordered, I think at the very least I'd set up a meeting with the manager and ask what happened and why. She doesn't have to demand a refund, but she should have a reason as to why it happened and if this something she should be concerned about for future orders. (Not that she would use them again, but they probably would offer a discount or something to avoid bad publicity).

You could also make a small version of the cake and give it to her so they could enjoy pictures of it and maybe have a do-over party. It would also showcase what you can do. I mean your niece is 1...think she'll remember the bad cake?

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer22780

who wouldve done her cake-correctly-for free!

Correctly doesn't equal free.

I'd fix it, redo it, or work with the customer to make it right until they are satisfied, but not for freefor the regular price agreed upon.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

Wouldn't have happened to me. I wouldn't have taken an order for something like that to be done in BC when it clearly should be done in fondant. They would need to be ok with having it fondant. (For cripes sake, peel the crap off cause there's just as much bc underneath). The other parts about it being wrong, again, wuoldn't have happened because I'm so panty-wad tight about my contracts and nailing every single detail down to a tee, that I prevent these things from ever happening. Period. End of story. Sorry about the cake, I'd be pissed.

Why would it need to be done in fondant? I do cakes all the time in buttercream with fondant decorations.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 15

Unlimited - The OP wasn't saying that the bakery should have done it correctly for free, she was saying that since it was her neice, SHE would have done it correctly the first time and she would not have charged them - it would have been a gift.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie925

Quote:

Why would it need to be done in fondant? I do cakes all the time in buttercream with fondant decorations.

I'm wondering the same thing...why should it "clearly be done in fondant"???

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 15

Oh my bad on that part. I had Cakewrecks on the brain, specifically the ones that should have been fondant. I do bc with fondant accents all the time, but only if it will look as perfect or better than whatever the original was.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASCARLETT

Unlimited - The OP wasn't saying that the bakery should have done it correctly for free, she was saying that since it was her neice, SHE would have done it correctly the first time and she would not have charged them - it would have been a gift.

Gotchathought it was a question (without a question mark) because it was another sentence after the ending punctuation of an exclamation point.

I need to stop answering non-questions!

Anyway, I'd still work until they're satisfied (or refund and eat it myself!).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:53pm
post #11 of 15

She shouldn't have accepted delivery if it was that diffferent from what she ordered.

Having said that, if I owned a bakery that delivered the wrong cake twice, I wouldn't be in business for long. I'd probably refund the price of the cake if the customer had a legitimate complaint, and I'd be chewing my staff a new one.

The fact that she accepted the delivery after rejecting the first one does work against her, though.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:04am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

She shouldn't have accepted delivery if it was that diffferent from what she ordered ... The fact that she accepted the delivery after rejecting the first one does work against her, though.

I agree completely. Though I'm sure she accepted it just so she would have A cake, even if not THE cake. I suppose the thing to do in this case would have been to not accept delivery then run to the grocery for the most acceptable cake possible.

Too bad she didn't just let OP do it. icon_sad.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:15am
post #13 of 15

It sounds like she accepted delivery so that she would have a cake for the party. Like a previous poster, my contracts are so detailed about the design and I am so anal about making sure that I live up to my end of the contract, that I would not leave out any of the design elements. But, if I did, I would offer a refund for what I thought the missing design elements were worth. Certainly, it would not be a full refund, but I would offer some monetary compensation because I didn't produce what was promised.

jennifer22780 Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASCARLETT

yep, thanks for clarifying =) that is exactly what i meant. that i would have LOVED to have done it- for free- as part of a gift. especially since hte child has EVERTHING (older siblings so they have every toy possible nad a ton of clothing) so that could have been the 'visual' gift and i wouldve felt better about giving just money (and instead i ended up buying yet another toy lol)

jennifer22780 Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:

the picture she showed them was clearly bc with fondant accents. definitely possible =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%