Question About Silhouette Cutting System

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 29 May 2011 , 3:50pm by tiggy2

Lori2240 Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking into the Silhouette and am intrigued about it in comparison to a Cricut. Since it is originally supposed to be for scrapbooking paper can I go back and forth from cutting fondant/gumpaste to cutting cupcake liners as well??? Thanks!

7 replies
bonniekaye Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 8

I do this all the time. I have the blade for cutting gum paste or frosting sheets and a mat that I only use for cake decoratings. I keep my machine clean (very easy to do) and have no problem using the paper blade and mat for paper work. Nothing touches your gum paste except the the blade and the mat. Be sure if you get a Shilhouette that you get it from Linda McClure so you get the correct cake blade. If you already have a Silhouette you can get just the cake accessory package. It's a great machine and I really love the print and cut feature.

tiggy2 Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

I do this all the time. I have the blade for cutting gum paste or frosting sheets and a mat that I only use for cake decoratings. I keep my machine clean (very easy to do) and have no problem using the paper blade and mat for paper work. Nothing touches your gum paste except the the blade and the mat. Be sure if you get a Shilhouette that you get it from Linda McClure so you get the correct cake blade. If you already have a Silhouette you can get just the cake accessory package. It's a great machine and I really love the print and cut feature.

DITTO!!!

Lori2240 Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 8

I have a newbie question because I am new to the whole cutting machine concept. Are there color/ink cartridges you need to buy? I mean if an image has other colors on it how do the colors get there? Sorry, stupid question! Also how good is the selection of images on the software you buy? For instance, I am looking for some scrollwork to cut. Are there images like that on there? Thanks for any feedback. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I make a purchase.

tiggy2 Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 8

To use the print and cut feature you need to have and edible image printer. If you purchase Make The Cut or Sure Cuts Alot you can use any images on the internet or anything you can scan. If you purchase the silhouette from Linda I believe she includes DVD of patterns which has scrollwork on it.

Lori2240 Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 8

So I dont need an edible image printer to start off with right? Thanks!

gscout73 Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 8

The Silhouette has cake specific accessory? I thought that Cricut has a cake accessory. I have not seen anything like that for the Silhouette. I am thinking about the silhouette myself since it is not necessary to have little cartridges. And I can use it for my tee shirt transfers.

tiggy2 Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 8

If you purchase the silhouette from Linda McClure you will get a blade and housing made especially for gumpaste/fondant as well as the regular blades for paper. I believe she also includes a CD of patterns for cakes. Check out her website and it tells everthing you get with the package. I can't post her website here as it will get deleted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%