How Do I Make Chopsticks Look Like They Float On My Cake?

Decorating By Christinabelle Updated 26 May 2011 , 6:41pm by TexasSugar

Christinabelle Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 9

i am thinking of making a ramen cake for my brother's birthday. i seen some pictures where they have the chopsticks holding on ramen noodles in the air and i know that they use a dowel. but how does this exactly work?

8 replies
rosa369 Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 9

I'm curious myself!!!

ayerim979 Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 9

Im sorry i have no clue, I hope someone can be of some assistance. Have you tried PMing someone that has already done a Ramen cake?

Everyone is usually really nice and will be glad to help you out.

Christinabelle Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 9

unfortunately, i havent seen any pictures here on cc for me to pm icon_sad.gif

AnotherCaker Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 9

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiedoescakesnet/5129231540/in/set-72157613990178195

Like this? Very carefully, that's all I can say. What I would (without actually asking Debbie herself) is make the chopsticks ahead of time, let them dry bone-dry. Get two dummies and position them far enough part to balance the chopsticks on. Prop parts of them up on a chunk of foam core or paper towel, whatever you need to make them look like they're angled properly. Extrude some noodles and wrap and position them in the way you need to make it look they're being liften from the bowl. Make sure they are touching your tabletop/whatever surface at the proper heigth it would need to be on your cake. Somewhere in that extruding process, make sure the chopsticks are going to be secured well once it's all dry.

So hard to explain in words, but I know exactly how it would go if I was doing it.

ayerim979 Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 9

Thats an excellent picture (Anotherbaker)

As what I can see there is something in the middle of the noodles.like a pies of styrofoam covered in fondant then you would stick your chopsticks thru that and start extruding you noodles all around and in between the chopsticks.

hope that makes sense

cownsj Posted 25 May 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayerim979

Thats an excellent picture (Anotherbaker)

As what I can see there is something in the middle of the noodles.like a pies of styrofoam covered in fondant then you would stick your chopsticks thru that and start extruding you noodles all around and in between the chopsticks.

hope that makes sense

Exactly, I'm guess a piece of pvc or something else attached to the cake board itself. Then covered with the noodles and like you said, the chopsticks through the middle.

Very cool looking cake.

Christinabelle Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 9

thanks for the advice. i'll give it a try

TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 9

When I made the skate board cake, I used a hollow dowel with a wooden down to make the trucks. I would do something like that for this one. Take a hollow dowel and cut/drill in to it big enough to slide the chopsticks through and at the angles you want.

I can't tell by the pick if they are real chopsticks or not. If using gumpaste, make sure they are dried really really well.

Place the dowel in the cake, then using the noodles you hide it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%