Help! This Cake Is Ruined!

Decorating By hebberd Updated 26 May 2011 , 4:09pm by lilmissbakesalot

hebberd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hebberd Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have seen so many amazing cakes done with piping gel that I decided to do one with it. It is a gorgeous sailboat but when I tasted the gel after the cake was finished, it has a weird after taste!! I can't give this to the people who ordered it! Any tips on how to fix it? Has anyone else had trouble with gel tasting weird?

HELP! This cake is due at 5 pm Central time TODAY!!!!!

6 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 7

Piping gel tastes wierd... there's no way around that really. What is the design? Is the boat on top of the cake in a pool of piping gel?

Some people like the taste of piping gel... I used to like it when I was a kiddo actually... LOL. You should always taste something before you slather it on a cake though. You can always tell them that the piping gel might not be to their liking and to avoid eating it in mass quantity.

hebberd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hebberd Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 7

The entire sail is done in the piping gel

lilmissbakesalot Posted 25 May 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry for teh delay... I was working all day yesterday... this was a 2-D laying down sailboat then?

Nothing you could have done really. Now you know that it's not the best tasting stuff and won't use it in such a quantity again.

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 7

It doesn't sound like your cake was ruined at all. You just didn't care for the flavor of the piping gel. Definitely nothing to get all hyped up over. Most people I know just take their forks and scrape it off anyway when they're served their piece of cake.

Happy caking.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:23am
post #6 of 7

I think lilmissbakesalot WAS trying to be helpful...it's just a difficult problem though - aside from scraping off all the piping gel and starting again with buttercream, or perhaps with 2D fondant cutouts, there really is no way to 'fix' the taste of the piping gel once it's on there.

Sometimes when there is no easy fix all you can do is take an "Oh well, I'll know for next time." approach.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 7

Yes... I *was* trying to be helpful, but there is really nothing that could have been done aside from starting over and I didn't see the need to do that. It wasn't a ruined cake. It was simply a case of the baker not liking the flavor of the gel. Most people don't eat gobs of piping gel anyway. I know I never have. It's more odd than bad tasting because it doesn't really have much of a flavor until after you eat it... it's strange stuff. I have never used it on a cake (other than when I was little with grandma), but I'm sure the client was fine with the cake. I'm sure it looked great, and I'm sure that the flavor was more than fine.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%