How To Stack Tiered Cakes

Decorating By ImMissWorld Updated 25 May 2011 , 9:54pm by napa

ImMissWorld Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 5

So I have been asked to make a wedding cake (not until next year but i want to make sure I know what im doing)

I have watched youtube videos etc. and seen they use wooden dowls, or straws or somethign, anyone know where to get these or what is the best to use?

also i understand you need to have some sort of board under each tier? what do you use? and again, does anyone know where to get these? i was thinking of using just a single cake board the same size as the cake, but wasn't sure if that was right?

im from the UK also, so any help would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif

4 replies
DessertDiva82 Posted 25 May 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 5

Hello icon_biggrin.gif

I am new at this myself (I am currently planning to attempt my first tiered cake) but you can get dowels and cake boards at craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michael's. They are not too expensive. You can also get bakery boxes, icing tips and bags, sprinkles and decor, and most of what you would need. Both stores stock a good variety.

What I have been told is that each tier needs support. So for example, for my two tier, I am going to dowel through the bottom tier, and place a cake board down, and then place the second tier on that. I have been told I probably don't need doweling through the second tier because I will be assembling the cake onsite and will not be traveling with it stacked. This site has good articles about stacking, smoothing buttercream, and other cake techniques.

Like I said, I am by no means an expert, but I hope that sharing the advice I have received has helped you.

sugarshack Posted 25 May 2011 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 5

You will get 100 different answers to this, as each has their own successful way of doing this. I use bubble tea straws for suppert, 1/2 inch thick fomecore in between the tiers, with a long wooden dowel down the center of the assembled cake with 100% success. HTH!

napa Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 5

As you are in the UK, you will find we don't have quite the same products as USA. Have a look for your local cake supply store as they will be able to advise you about dowels and boards, otherwise have a look at one of the big on line suppliers - sugarshack or cake craft shop. Each cake needs to be on a cake card - I use 4mm thick ones. Ice the cake on this board, so the sugarpaste covers the edge of the board as well. I use a little royal icing between the cakes when I stack. As you've got lots of time, maybe look into a short course so you are confident!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%