Making Gumpaste Teacups - Help

Decorating By avasmummy Updated 27 May 2011 , 2:10am by avasmummy

avasmummy Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 4

once they are dry can dip the rim into a puddle of royal icing to thicken the rim? its looking pretty tatty at the moment and after reading through heaps of threads I just cant find the info i need. I don't want the teacup to get soggy and loose its shape. Also the colour of the gumpaste is all dusty from the cornstarch even after brushing it so will brushing on the glucose and vodka help or will it ruin the cup
and can i do brush embroidery with royal icing over the gloss lol

so many questions - not enough time to play around with trial and error so please bless me with your wisdom Razz

3 replies
avasmummy Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:37am
post #2 of 4

Is there anyone who can answer my questions - I am running out of time - Please help if you can.

Coral3 Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:02am
post #3 of 4

To get rid of the dusty look from cornstarch or powdered sugar you can either paint with alcohol (vodka, which may leave it a little shiny where you painted...OR rose spirits, which is 95% alcohol and dries very fast - so less chance it will compromise the shape/strength of your teacup.) You can also steam lightly, which is my personal preference - it's quick, and there's no chance of leaving brush-strokes on the surface or uneven 'watery' looking marks like you can get with vodka. Whatever you do though, make sure it's completely dry first otherwise it will not hold up to the addition of extra moisture. And be sure not to touch it again until the surface has had time to dry out again, or you may leave marks in the sticky surface.

avasmummy Posted 27 May 2011 , 2:10am
post #4 of 4

I'm just at a loss as to what to do next I have been drying my glazed teacups and saucers for 4 days in the oven with the fan and light on and the glaze dries but if i take it out of the oven and let it sit for less than an hour its all goopy and tacky icon_sad.gif I tried the several coats of the rose spirits first but it still dries mat and powdery looking and i removed all that i could off first. steaming doesn't seem to work either. Its just too humid here. In future if i was to use confectioners glaze would it actually dry hard even in high humity?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%