What Would You Do?

Decorating By mscooper67 Updated 25 May 2011 , 1:53am by mscooper67

mscooper67 Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:03am
post #1 of 9

I have a problem.... I am just a home baker that makes wedding and celebration cakes for family and friends. Now a friend of the family wants to know if I can give him a quote for a family reunion cake to feed 350 people! I have never made anything of this size. I don't know what to tell him. How big would a cake have to be for this? I'm looking forward to any feedback.

Sharon

8 replies
Brevity Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 9

A cake to serve 350 can intimidate (sp?) an experianced decorator. Just personal...if I were you, based on the info you've given, I wouldn't take it on. That said - if the reunion is a long way off - eh, maybe.

mommachris Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:47am
post #3 of 9

Actually my first wedding cake was for about 300 people and it took me DAYS to complete. It's in my gallery.

I baked straight...seriously one pan came out and another went in the oven...for a day and a half. Took a whole day to level, fill and ice them and a day to decorate and dowel them. All of that part had to happen at the church since my kitchen was too small.

The hundreds of royal icing flowers took two weeks to make since I couldn't really do any of it during the day ( I have a lot of small children in my house and they love icing).

I could do it much faster now, but it still takes a huge about of work to do a cake that large.

Think it out before accepting the job.
If you have enough freezer space, counter space, car space to deliver it etc..
And if you do accept it, girl you better charge him double what you think!

mommachris

Texas_Rose Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:51am
post #5 of 9

Personally I'd say no, but that's because I don't have the kitchen space to make that much cake at one time. I would also have trouble transporting it.

If you decide to do it, find out if it will be somewhere air conditioned...I won't do anything, even for good friends, that will be outdoors in the summer...don't want to be responsble for it melting during the party.

YorkieMaMa Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:56am
post #6 of 9

I am a home baker also and I have had 2 coworkers ask if I could do their wedding cakes. To which I politely told them that I was honored that they felt I was qualified and that my cakes were pretty enough. But that I didn't feel I had the confidence to do that type of important cake. There is nothing wrong with a baker who has not had very much experience to make a large/important cake. Tell him nicely that you do not have the experience to complete that task yet. It is what it is.

MamaNenascakes Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:37am
post #7 of 9

Why don't you make a display cake and make sheet cakes for the rest!

terrylee Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:42am
post #8 of 9

I agree with MamaNenascakes.....make a small 3 tiered presentation cake maybe to feed 150 and the rest in sheet cakes in the kitchen....The caterers like the sheet cakes, they can have them sliced and ready to go when the bride and groom have finished cutting the main cake.... Easier to handle, easier to transport and set up and easier on your mind.

mscooper67 Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:53am
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much everyone. I decided not to take the order. I actually feel much better now.

Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%