Travel Bag

Decorating By SnLSweetEscapes Updated 25 May 2011 , 1:34am by cakegirl1973

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating. I actually kind of got forced into it quicker then I wanted. I prefer cupcakes but I have had a ton of people asking me to make cakes for them. My question is, I have a wedding cake that I am doing for a friend on June 4th. I know that people bring a "travel Bag" with them with different tools to help them at the set up and in case of emergencies. What are your key tools that you make sure that you have? Also, what kind of bag do you use or is it more like a tool box? Thank you so much in advance for all of your help! I have learned so much from this site!

4 replies
Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:05am
post #2 of 5

Depends on the cake's design. I always bring a bag with a small round tip with buttercream, for repairs and such, extra fondant in the colors on the cake, an off-set spatula and a camera!

cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:46am
post #3 of 5

I bought a bag from Michael's that is open at the top with a bunch of different compartments. I think it was for scrapbooking supplies. I bring extra icing in a bag with a tip for finishing borders, a small offset spatula, a larger spatula for putting the top tier on if necessary,paper towels, scissors, toothpicks, a couple of extra dowel rods and dowel cutters. It seems like overkill but I like to be prepared.

Oh and one of those little wooden wedges in case I need to hold a door open.

cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:48am
post #4 of 5

and a camera, and a little screwdriver(sometimes needed to get
toppers off the base of the packaging)

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:34am
post #5 of 5

I bring all of the things previously mentioned (although the screwdriver is a new item to my bag--thanks for the tip!). I also bring a large tupperware with bc in case something wrong happens, then I have plenty on hand for repairs just in case. I've never had to use it, and I hope I never will, but it makes me feel better to know that I have it, in case I need it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%