Keep Fondant Soft

Decorating By madmay Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 3:34pm by madmay

madmay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madmay Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 9

Hello,
I have tried to make my fondant, store bought or MMF, to stay soft before eating. I ususally make the fondant part of the cake two days ahead of time and it is put into a fridge....whyen it is brought out, thawed or not, it is too hard to eat.
How do they do it on t.v? or bakeries where they have to start earlier and take so long?
Thanks icon_rolleyes.gif

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 9

What kind of icing are you using underneath the fondant?

madmay Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 9

It's usually BC but sometimes it's jelly, well, a mixture of both

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:40am
post #4 of 9

if you like a softer fondant, you might want to try the Fondarific brand. It doesn't harden up like the MMF or Satin Ice. (i think that the Michael's Duff brand is manufactured by them as well). In fact, many people have lots of trouble doing bows or figures with it because in its out of the tub state, it stays too soft. The flavors are really nice as well.

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 9

I make my own fondant, it never gets to hard to eat, and always tastes really good too. You could try to make your own.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 9

I use the following MMF recipe and it stays fairly soft. I haven't had any problems with it yet. It's not overly hard when dried. Of course, I've never put fondant in the fridge. I just keep it wrapped well and store in a cool, dry place.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16228/buttercream-flavored-marshmallow-fondant

Check it out!!

Hope that helps!!

madmay Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 9

Well, there were allot of responses but I don't know how to see the rest, It does the first ones then that's it. How do I get to see the rest of the posts?
This was about keeping the fondant soft. My problem is if I wrap it I can ruin the lace and all that I may have put on it. How long can the cake last out without going bad? I put it in the fridge for only one day.......I'd LOVE to be able to make the cake about a week before it's due but can't with fondant.
tank you for the earlier post...even the ones I didn't get to see
May

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 9

Personally I wouldn't want to eat a week old cake.

You can bake and freeze, but it still leaves you decorating it at the end of the week.

What is in the cake that you have to put it in the fridge?

I think the only way to really keep fondant completely soft would be to store it air tight. But that could cause problems with some of the decorations.

The nature of fondant is to firm up a bit, but it really shouldn't be so hard that you can't eat it.

madmay Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 9

Texassugar, thank you for the answer. The cakes I make ar usually filled in the center, crumbed then Iced and then fondant put on. I like MMF but it is the one that got so hard. The place was supposed to serve it that night but served it the next day...without covering it or anything.
I usually put my cakes in the freezer and bring them out the night befor they are to be eaten. I don't cover them with buttercream until then or put fondant of them and decorate. Maybe if I put toothpicks around it and then seran wrap it will work and not mess up my lace or whatever on it, I tell them to put it in the cooler.....should they just leave it out?
I still would like to know how places that make weddings cakes do it.
Thank you for the reply
Could it be that I don't make the fondant thin enough? But if I do it has a tendancy to tear,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%