Dry Looking Fondant?

Decorating By Richie5162 Updated 27 May 2011 , 3:34pm by KathysCC

Richie5162 Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 5

I have been trying to work more with fondant and I know I have the technique down but I need to know how I get the perfect finish? I feel like no matter what I do it still has the powdered sugar dusty look. Help please =)

4 replies
hrnewbie Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #2 of 5

Are you using homemade fondant or storebought? Perhaps you should try kneading a little shortening into the fondant to give it some more moisture. I usually have overly wet fondant so maybe we should mix them and we'll have the perfect batch!

Richie5162 Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrnewbie

Are you using homemade fondant or storebought? Perhaps you should try kneading a little shortening into the fondant to give it some more moisture. I usually have overly wet fondant so maybe we should mix them and we'll have the perfect batch!

Haha right. I make a homemade MMF. I was just curious if there was something I could do.

sweettreat101 Posted 26 May 2011 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 5

Knead in a little shortening and after your cake is covered rub it down with a light coating of shortening. You can also lightly steam your fondant with a small clothes steamer.

KathysCC Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 5

I find that the homemade MMF calls for too much powdered sugar. I never knead in the full amount of PS that the recipe calls for. I figure that if it is too sticky, I can add more as I am rolling it out. You might try not putting quite as much PS in the recipe, along with the other suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%