Owl Cake...something Missing

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 27 May 2011 , 7:19am by jennifercullen

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 19

Iv made an owl cake and uploaded it onto here, i'm not sure if its because I'm finished early and now am itching to do more, but it feels like there is something missing. It's only on a small board so there's not much room for big things, any ideas of what I could add to it? Maybe a bit of colour?

Thanks, jenny

18 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 19

Quite honestly, I think your owl is really cute just like it is, unless you want to put a piece of mail in its beak (it IS Hedwig, after all), but I wouldn't: it will just hide all the hard work you put in on the feathers.

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 19

I like it how it is - very cute! I guess if you want to add something you could make some kind of branch with blossoms or flower vine going under its feet - like it's sitting on it. But I do like it how it is.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 19

I agree with Marianna. The cake looks great just as it is.

jennifercullen Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 19

Possibly just cake decorating withdrawals then? Maybe I will start a new one for myself tomorrow! I might have a play around with the ideas you guys suggested though thank you icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:34am
post #6 of 19

I think it looks really great, I could NEVER do that! I think maybe the only things you could think was missing is that Snowy owls also have some black on their heads and some of them have it on their chest too. Hedwig had some on his head, from the photos I just looked at. I think it looks great just the way it is though. Good job!

Marianna46 Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:42am
post #7 of 19

I know what you mean about the withdrawal, Jenny: once I finish a cake not 24 hours pass before my fingers are itching to get into some fondant again! So what's your next project?

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:52am
post #8 of 19

I love it! I wouldn't add a thing! He is too cute!

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:15am
post #9 of 19

Really cute. If anything, ears? You know, the little nubs. icon_smile.gif

jennifercullen Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:54am
post #10 of 19

Sarahbeth3 you seriously could do it if you had the patience to stick on all those feathers! Underneath my fondant was wrapped around and it looked a mess! I think part of my problem is that its all white and maybe I should have done the black all the way up to his head!

Marianna46 I am going to a chocolate and confectionary course tonight so I won't be able to start another cake, but its my birthday next week, and due to my son going on holiday we are celebrating it early so I guess I can just make something pretty or fun for that! Yay!

I like the mail idea! But it will hide the feathers...then again I suppose I could put a little message to my friend on it couldn't i! Maybe tell her never ever to cut it because it took me too long and I like it too much? LOL

Marianna46 Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 19

Ooh, ooh, ooh, chocolates and confectionary! That's another great way to keep your hands busy! If you don't want to hide the feathers, maybe you could give him a very tiny piece of mail, or just a gift tag that said "Happy Birthday, Friend (cut this cake and you die)!"

jennifercullen Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 19

Lol I'm really considering that as a message! And oh yes its only a one off thing I'm hoping I learn something I can put into my cakes. I can't find a cake decorating course around here so have to go with what I find icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:00am
post #13 of 19

Practice is your best teacher, anyway, particularly if you have talent, which, judging by your photos, you do, so all I can say is Keep On Cakin'!

jennifercullen Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:28am
post #14 of 19

Thank you Marianna, I keep thinking to myself that the cakes are awful, but then i have only been doing it for just 2 months now, i've been wanting to try the all famous buttercream rose cake, maybe that will be my next attempt icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 19

Go for it, girl! I've been wanting to try that one myself - my family loves buttercream cakes and I'm so bad at getting buttercream smooth, so I thought maybe I could do it that way. Just be sure to post a pic!

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 26 May 2011 , 12:58pm
post #16 of 19

You CANNOT mess up the buttercream rose cake. Trust me - I am a seasoned messer-upper and I threw one out like I was good at it. You will get great satisfaction from all the oohs and ahhs!

By "threw it out" I just meant did it really quickly - I didnt' actually throw it out.....I do not have a way with words sometimes...........

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:26pm
post #17 of 19

Jennifercullen< You`re owl is perfect, Really beautifll, I don`t know if i would temp something like that, But as far as the rose cake goes, Im going to make one for my boss in june, Cuz she loooovvvvvvveeeeeeessssssssssss buttercream

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:26pm
post #18 of 19

Jennifercullen< You`re owl is perfect, Really beautifll, I don`t know if i would temp something like that, But as far as the rose cake goes, Im going to make one for my boss in june, Cuz she loooovvvvvvveeeeeeessssssssssss buttercream

jennifercullen Posted 27 May 2011 , 7:19am
post #19 of 19

Thank you mommynana and kimmisue I don't know lol I hope it looks ok, my piping is something u need to work on though. I don't think I have ever piped buttercream in fact. But its only for my household so no pressure lol. I don't think the cake will fare so well on my weight watchers points but hey!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%