How Is This Technique Accomplished?

Decorating By dchinda Updated 25 May 2011 , 1:48am by dchinda

dchinda Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 11

I have a request to replicate a cake for a baby shower. I have no idea as to how this frosting technique is done. Does anyone have any idea or advice as to how this is done? TIA

10 replies
dchinda Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 11

Please help, anyone know how this technique is done?

cathyscakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 11

To me it just looks like ruffles layered on top of each other with a rose tip. You would have to practice to get the right amout of ruffle, but that is what it looks like to me.

BeaHoney Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 11

The flower looks like a rose petal tip, but I am not sure about the white ruffles -- maybe with a leaf tip?

Dreme Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 11

Wow! I have that exact same cake this weekend! Mine is for a birthday though.

It kinda looks like it was done using a leaf tip like a #114, tip #100, or something, but i'm not that great at using that (leaf) tip for some reason. There are several types of tips that can be used for ruffling effects. As I liked the result, I'm using the curved petal tip #122 for the ruffle and chrysanthemum tip #80 for the flower. Start by piping from bottom sides of the cake up to the top center with your tip for ruffling. Go back and pipe the flower starting from the center with your #80 (or #79 or #81).

shanter Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 11

I think you might be able to do it with fondant or gum paste. Make strips. Use a ball tool (or something) to thin out one edge and then form the thin edge into even ruffles (if you want even ruffles). Apply the strips to the cake, overlapping. Maybe you would put a strip with one thinned edge on the cake and then form the ruffles; then the next strip.

There are also things called frill or ruffle cutters for fondant or gumpaste. They cut a ring; then when you straighten it out into a strip, one side ruffles. I've never seen one big enough to go around a cake, but you could probably "paste" two or three together.

Just my 2 cents.

dchinda Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you everyone for your responses. Now time for me to start practicing for the next few weeks to figure out which way works best. icon_biggrin.gif

DSmo Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 11

I'm fairly sure that's a buttercream ruffle. You can see instructions here:

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 11

What am I missing? It says the photo doesn't exist. icon_confused.gif

pat304 Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:42pm
post #10 of 11

I think this ruffle tip might be what you're looking for - scroll down a little more than halfway on this page.

dchinda Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:48am
post #11 of 11

They took the picture down because I uploaded it in my photo gallery & it's not my photo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%