Cream Cheese Icing That Does Not Crust!

Decorating By rpaige Updated 25 May 2011 , 2:40pm by LindaF144a

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 11

I found a nice cream cheese icing that everyone enjoys. The problem is that the cream cheese icing remains gooey and never crusts. I end up with elephant skin on top of my cake! I use merengue powder and still have issues. Tried refrigerating and then smoothing. It works briefly and then I have gooey in a very short period of time.

I would like to have a great icing and a great appearance. Can someone offer suggestions?

Thank you!

10 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 11

ddaigle, thanks! This recipe is very similar to the recipe I use and it is very good. I have compared the recipe and I realized that mine calls for 3 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar. Could this be the problem - too much ps????

It could be that using this frosting is just beyond my skill level. It is gooey under the surface. When smoothing, it just shifts around and oozes everywhere.

Might be the humidity in Georgia but it is probably just plain 'ol me!

If someone orders a cake in the design of elephant skin boots or alligator handbag then I know exactly what icing to use! LOL!

ddaigle Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 11

I think too much PS makes icing crack, in addition to a board that is too thin. I quit using that icing because I found all that PS and other ingredients took away from the cream cheese icing taste. I try to stay away from cream cheese icing and only use it as a filling.

rpaige Posted 25 May 2011 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 11

I'm sure you are correct. I think it would be a really good filling and I'm going to have to move on. Do you have a suggestion for a good bc frosting that would be easier to manage for a novice like me?

Thanks for your patience and advice. Really like the Cake Sarge title by the way!

ddaigle Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 11

I use Butter Cream Dream recipe from the recipe section here. 2 other popular icings are IndyDebi's and SugarShacks. I've used them both but prefer butter cream dream. You have to try different ones and find the one that works for you. Good luck and happy caking!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaige

I found a nice cream cheese icing that everyone enjoys. The problem is that the cream cheese icing remains gooey and never crusts. I end up with elephant skin on top of my cake! I use merengue powder and still have issues. Tried refrigerating and then smoothing. It works briefly and then I have gooey in a very short period of time.

I would like to have a great icing and a great appearance. Can someone offer suggestions?

Thank you!

What is your exact recipe? I think you are right that the ratios are off, but I would want to see the amounts first.

rpaige Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 11

1 c butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 lb. cream cheese, 1 tbls vanilla, 3 1/2 lbs conf. sugar, 1/2 tsp salt.

Great taste but unless nearly frozen, it is very moist and gooey. It is probably an error that I am making.

LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 11

Interesting that is moist and gooey. With the ratio of fat to sugar, about 1 to 3, it should be very stiff.

I do know that if you over beat cream cheese, it does get runny and will not go back to a good state.
I would try to not overbeat the frosting. See if that helps.

However, it could be your perception of this kind of frosting. Cream cheese frosting made this way does have a different consistency than this would be if you used all shortening/butter. Possibly what you are getting is normal for a cream cheese frosting, but you just don't know because you have not seen any one else's frosting made this way. When I make it, I do not use for fine piping detail due to the fact that it is so much softer than other frostings.

rpaige Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 11

Linda, You are probably correct. I just don't have enough experience with cream cheese to know how to work with it. It tasted good but my technique is not so good! Definitely did not work well with a stacked cake in a room that was comfortable in temperature but not specifically cold! LOL

My family and friends do not like the basic buttercream recipe and I was trying to find something with better flavor. I guess I will just have to find a way to dress up the usual bc. I know there has to be something out there that taste better and smoothes well!

My icing is whipping me and fondant really hates me. I may stick to baking bread!

Thanks!

LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 11

It should have been okay with a stacked cake because the frosting is not what holds up a cake.

By stacked you do mean another cakes stacked on top each other and not a layer cake, right?
I have not stacked a cake with CC frosting, but I did just recently make a birthday cake for a friend of mine. It held up fine. I did not do any fancy decorating on top, just a swirl design. I don't think CC is conducive to decorating personally. But others may have better experience with it than I do.

In the cake shop I used to work at we would take about a 1/2 stick of CC and add it to a 6 quart bowl of frosting. I could not even taste the CC myself. But it was not my decision on how to make the frosting. Now that it is, I go for taste over function. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%