Can I Use Fondant Instead Of Gumpaste For Flowers

Decorating By davis65 Updated 24 May 2011 , 3:25pm by heartsnsync

davis65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davis65 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 3

I like working with fondant, but I have never worked with gumpaste. I am a little nervous about gumpaste. I was recently given a gumpaste flower kit that makes the calylilies, gerber daisies, and many other flowers. When I tried to use the cutters on the fondant it didn't work right. Can I use this kit with fondant, or does it have to be gumpaste? Someone told me fondant would work just fine, but it is not working how I would like for it too. Could I possibly add more powder sugar to make the fondant thicker, or do I need to let it dry out more for it to work? Thank you!

2 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 3

You can add tylose powder to fondant to make it dry harder like gumpaste. You might need to roll your fondant a little thinner if the cutters aren't working correctly.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, you can use fondant instead of gum paste, and as was previously said this is done by adding something like Tylose to the fondant so that it will have a stiffer texture. However, there are some down falls to this. Fondant is by nature not as pliable and stretchy as gum paste. Therefore, it will be difficult to achieve the same effects you do with gum paste like ruffling, using the ball tool to thin and cup, etc.

If all you want to do is to make roses, use cutters, veiners, plunge cutters and the like fondant will do what you want. For some of those these types of flowers you don't even have to add the Tylose you just need to add a bit more confectioner's sugar/cornstarch to your fondant before molding or cutting. If you desire to make lilies, orchids and other complicated and/or wired flowers then using fondant will be much more difficult if impossible to use and achieve what you are going for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%