Question On Real Ribbons On Wedding Cake

Decorating By cocoanna Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm by cocoanna

cocoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoanna Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:23am
post #1 of 9

I'm making a cake for a friend's wedding and she wanted a cake with real ribbons at the bottom of each tier. This is very common and I was wondering. For the cake cutting ceremony, what do you do with the ribbon? Do you take it off before they cut the cake or do they cut though it (which will be messy)? Any ideas?

8 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 9

For the bride & groom cake cutting they would just cut a slice above the ribbon to keep the look of the cake intact for the photos, for the actual serving of the cake they would remove the ribbon.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 9

What do you do to prevent the ribbon from soaking the fat from the Butter cream icing?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 9

Use a crusting butter cream and you won't have that problem.

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 9

I have found success with putting clear gift wrap tape on the back of the ribbon. The whole crusting butter cream thing still let the ribbon get grease soaked.
Have the couple to cut the cake near where the ribbon joins so that they can peel back the ribbon slightly and then cut the cake. Good Luck !!

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you guys for the information.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 9

Does ironing the ribbon to wax paper also keep the ribbon from getting greases soaked?

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 9

What about ribbon over fondant? MMf fondant is pretty greasy, I wonder if it would soak through on that too??? I love the idea of the gift wrap tape and of having them cut the cake at the seam! Great ideas!

cocoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoanna Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you!!! I guess I'll have to let the couple know how to cut it for the photos, and then take it off for serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%