Levelling Cake With Upside Down Frosting Technique..

Decorating By chrisviz Updated 24 May 2011 , 7:38pm by sweettreat101

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #1 of 9

I, for the life of me, cannot seem to get a cake perfectly level (or near perfectly level) ever...grr. I am thinking of trying the upside down frosting technique to try to get sharper, cleaner edges... but curious if this technique can help make up some of my uneveness?? Say if I use a pretty thick layer of icing and then push down with the cake until a level reads evenly??

Also, does this method work well for ganache??

Thanks for any tips! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:18am
post #2 of 9

upside down frosting i heard of this once but could never find out what it is or how it works\\

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:32am
post #3 of 9

Your cake layers need to be level to start with. The best tool for that is an Agbay.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:35am
post #4 of 9

I don't have a problem leveling my cakes or getting icing level but this interests me and I am trying this on my next cake!

http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

chrisviz Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks Leah... so do you think it is worth the extra hundred or so to get the double blade??

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 9

It depends on your volume. For me, yes. Just being able to make one swipe and have my cakes perfectly leveld and torted is priceless. I do torte every cake, every time. But unless you're a volum baker, maybe not. I understand the new model is expandable?

chrisviz Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 9

I dont know, I need to check it out a little more... I am not volume by any means, just hobby for family and friends... but but my sanity (and self-esteem) might be worth the extra hundred or so..lol icon_biggrin.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 9

The upside down frosting was created by Jeff Arnette. If you want to try it I would suggest using his frosting recipe posted below his instructions. I level my cakes while they are still in the pan and never have a problem. I let my cake cool for 15 minutes. I then take a small knife and run it around the rim of the pan. I then take a long piece of dental floss pull it tight lay it acrossed the rim and pull it through. You need to make sure the cake bakes above the rim so you have enough to trim evenly.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%