Best Way To Attach Tan Ribbon On Square Buttercream Tiers?

Decorating By DianneandBrad Updated 27 May 2011 , 5:19am by 2txmedics

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:46am
post #1 of 8

I have attached double sided satin black ribbon to buttercream without any problem. To attach a light colored ribbon to a square buttercream cake which would work better - attaching it to freezer paper or wax paper? I'm thinking the freezer paper might be hard to go around the corners. I don't use a crusting buttercream. Any suggestions/tips?

7 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:40am
post #2 of 8

I would make sure the cake is frozen for a few minutes to get the icing firm before putting the ribbon on it. Also I treat my ribbon with oil so it doesn't have to be backed with anything, but I make sure the bride/whoever picks out a color slightly lighter then the end result they're looking for. If you want to use paper I would just fold the paper around the cake first, so you have corner creases, then put on the ribbon, and you shouldn't have a problem with the corners. Good Luck!

DianneandBrad Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:37am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your suggestion!

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:57am
post #4 of 8

I've had to attach ribbon to buttercream on several occasions and I always back it with wax paper and attach it to the ribbon with double sided tape. I've heard that people use the "oil" trick but have never tried it. I do crease the wax paper and use and iron to make sharp edges on the ribbon, works way better than what you see in my pics. Hope this helps!

DianneandBrad Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 8

Sweetviolet - I just looked at your pictures and the "Gold & White square wedding cake is VERY similar to the one I am doing this weekend and why I asked for help! The color gold I need to use may be a little lighter, and the bride also wants buttercream border on top of the ribbon. I wonder if the wax paper is on the back, would it prevent grease stain on the front?

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:25am
post #6 of 8

I would do the oil trick so that you don't take a chance, if the border were on top, there is a pretty good chance it can seep into the ribbon. I use my pan spray, spray the ribbon then wipe it down with a paper towel. Quick and easy icon_smile.gif

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:40am
post #7 of 8

so does the pam keep the ribbon from absorbing any more grease from the icing, having the same issue this weekend, TIA

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 27 May 2011 , 5:19am
post #8 of 8

When putting a ribbon on a square cake you mentioned you iron the corners, Im assuming which makes sense to fit it to the cake frist, maybe mark the corners with a indention...

So once the ribbon is sprayed with Pam and wiped off, there will be no further grease stains, as this basically paints it up to match....guess you know what I mean...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%