Multiple Questions For A Big Upcoming Wedding Cake

Decorating By jakenheather Updated 24 May 2011 , 5:06pm by jakenheather

jakenheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakenheather Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:03am
post #1 of 12

I haven't done a cake in over a year since I had my baby girl and am a little out of it and am nervous with my brother's wedding coming up next month. so I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any help. I plan on doing it all in BC.

1- big concern is I have a lot of dragees to apply, what is the best way? just a dab of icing on the back, does it have to be RI?

2- they want ivory, I have read just to use a recipe with butter and regular vanilla, is this all I have to do?

3- any suggestions for the quilting? I have never done that before. and it looks like it wouldn't be that hard, but I am sure it could get messed up easy.

4- I am doing 6-8-10-12-14 and I got big straw like dowel supports and plastic separator plates since it will be huge and heavy, any tips for all of that?

5- most importantly, any tips to save my wrist!!!! I may only be 27 but dang my wrist hurts after a normal cake!!! I have allowed 2 full days of icing and decorating and I hope that is enough

6- oh and what is the best way to support the cake topper?

thankfully I am able to bake and decorate it all at the fire hall so I dont have to travel with it!

Thank you for all of your thoughts and ideas and answers!!!!

They found this pic on here by cakebaker55 for my guide but only to make it a 5 tier.

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:11am
post #2 of 12

Okay..I will try and offer my suggestions....

1. I wouldn't use straws to dowel for a cake that large despite what some have said here...I just wouldn't trust it to hold up a cake that large.I would use SPS.

2. Dragees are easily put on with a small pair of tweezers and a dab of RI or buttercream depending on the base being fondant or BC.

3.Ivory what?? Cake or the icing...Regular vanilla will turn the icing and ecru color which is ivory.

4.Quilting can be done with either an impression mat or using a ruler and a roller tool yourself.

4.Support the cake topper with a seperater plate as well that is hidden under the topper.Especially if it is heavy..that way it won't crush the top tier.

jakenheather Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:12am
post #3 of 12

ok, I will try to post a pic here

well here is a link if that didn't work, I have tried it all

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1326859

jakenheather Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #4 of 12

Thank you so much, I meant ivory BC sorry.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:19am
post #5 of 12

Americolor puts out an ivory gel color..Just a dab will do it!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:24am
post #6 of 12

I second the recommendation of using SPS. You can order it at oasis cake supply or global sugar art. I vote the impression may for the quilting. It's easy to use especially on a square cake. Beautiful cake.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:37am
post #7 of 12

FYI - wilton ivory will turn to horid orange color. I highly recommend americolor ivory

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:41am
post #8 of 12

I agree with both the sps & impression mat. My diamond mat was only like $7 & the price of sps (especially since your brother will probably give it back) is well worth the peace of mind!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:54am
post #9 of 12

Another vote for SPS!

Really did you expect me to say anything else?

I've added regular vanilla to bc and it comes out a perfect ivory that doesn't change shades as it sits.

jakenheather Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:58am
post #10 of 12

thanx guys! and maybe I should return the wilton ivory I bought then huh? I am gonna try the butter n vanilla n see if it makes an ivory, hope so, with all of that icing I have to make I would hate to not have it all the same exact color with dye!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:17am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenheather

I have allowed 2 full days of icing and decorating and I hope that is enough

I made a 5-tier cake last year. It was the biggest cake I've ever made. The biggest mistake I made with it was not allowing enoughttime. Do your 2 days include leveling, fillling and crumbcoating? Just doing that on my cake took most of 5 hours. As a guide, the wedding I did the cake for was on a Friday evening. I work full time but took the Friday off. My gp flowers were done weeks in advance. I baked and froze the weekend before; also decorated my board. I had all my bc made ahead (Tuesday and Wednesday evenings). Thursday night I did the leveling, filling, and crumbcoating. I started as soon as I got home from work and finished just after 11:00 pm. All I had to do on Friday was cover in fondant, decorate, deliver and finish. I got it done, but I REALLY wish I had added an extra day to that! Just throwing that out there for your consideration icon_smile.gif.

jakenheather Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 12

thanx, I plan to bake the cakes on Wed afternoon and evening at the fire hall and make all of my icing while they bake, then start the rest Thursday morning. I remember from my last 3 tier square cake that it seemed to take forever to get it all done so I am thinking the first day will just get it all done but stacking and decorating (well I hope anyway lol). Hopefully since this is my second square cake I won't take forever fretting over my corners. The wedding is Saturday at lunch and I hope to go get my hair done in the morning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%