Is Ther A Way To Make A Zipper For A Purse ?

Decorating By mommynana Updated 27 May 2011 , 11:30pm by mommynana

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #1 of 25

If I don`t have a mold, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

24 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 25

Well I am tempted to go buy a zipper from the local fabric store and make a mold with fondant.I bought a zipper mold but to be honest I am disappointed with it..It is small and not that great.Or you could buy the mold mnaking stuff from Michael's and make your own...

mommynana Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:38am
post #3 of 25

Kiddiekakes, I was thinking of doing the same thing, Wondering if it would work, I know i have heard of people making their own molds with that stuff they sell at michaels, But i have never tried it

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:43am
post #4 of 25

Me neither but I think I am gonna try..I mean what do we have to lose..buy the stuff with the 40% off coupon and go to it!I was totally not happy with the zipper mold I bought...small and flimsy...I want a big zipper...

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:51am
post #5 of 25

You could totally make your own mold with the mold putty they sell at Michael's and Hobby Lobby! I've used it to make beer bottle molds and it's very easy to use and would make a great zipper mold medium!

mommynana Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:55am
post #6 of 25

You know of what i just though of, Not only do i have a 40% off but i got a gift card my kids gave me for mothers day, And i don`t have to watch my grandchildren tomorrow, Soooo guess where `im going??? Oh What size sipper should i buy for the mold ? Have any idea?

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:57am
post #7 of 25

Whatever you think you will use the most....Go have a look at the fabric store...

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:03am
post #8 of 25

Hey Cambo..Haven't seen you around for awhile..Where yah been??

mommynana Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:08am
post #9 of 25

thanks a lot Combo, and Kiddiekakes I think I`ll give it a try thumbs_up.gif

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:11am
post #10 of 25

I don't use a mold, I just roll out my fondant, press a large zipper into it then cut around the imprint. Easy peasy!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:11am
post #11 of 25

here is one tutorial. Planet Cake has one similiar in their books

http://artofdessert.blogspot.com/2008/10/marc-jacobs-bag-cake.html

cambo Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:12am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hey Cambo..Haven't seen you around for awhile..Where yah been??

Hey Kiddiekakes! icon_smile.gif It has been a LONG while since I've posted. My business has really taken off in the past year, and I did my first bridal show in February! VERY exciting indeed...and VERY busy with wedding cakes! I'm also working on a series of videos featuring gumpaste work...so just been real busy!

Feels good to post again! I've missed everyone!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:12am
post #13 of 25

DEFINITELY make a mold. It is soooo easy to use the Amazing Mold Putty. Here is a video of it:

cambo Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:12am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

DEFINITELY make a mold. It is soooo easy to use the Amazing Mold Putty. Here is a video of it:

Yep..that's what I use! VERY easy!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #15 of 25

here is another tutorial without a mold also.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=97298

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #16 of 25

Cambo...glad to see you back!!! Missed yah!! Glad to also hear your business is doing well!!

mommynana Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:19pm
post #17 of 25

Thanks everone for you`r replys

occheermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
occheermommy Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:26am
post #18 of 25

I came across this thread a couple days ago but did not read it. I was on sugar craft tonight and found they had a mold. Not sure how many have tried it. Sounds like one was not happy with it. It looks a bit shallow and like the details are not great but it is there if anyone is in a pinch.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 26 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #19 of 25

I took a zipper and used the make a mold yourself stuff and it worked fine. You can get the mold stuff at a hobby lobby.

mommynana Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:24pm
post #20 of 25

RetiredNavyChief. I saw that stuff at michaels, But the box says that you can only get a couple of use out of it is it true??

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 26 May 2011 , 6:33pm
post #21 of 25

The Planet Cake way is easy. You cut 2 strips the length of the purse, one wider than the other. The wide one you roll a stitching tool along each edge, the sewing part. The thinner one you roll a "dough wheel" wavy, down the centre. The thin one is the metal part, paint it with gold luster dust. Then make a small rectangle for the pull, and cut a small hole out of the end with the small end of a tip, they suggest a no. 4. It also gets painted gold.The thin strip gets "glued" to the wider strip which should be the same color as the cake. I think it looks great and is easier than making a mold if you have the stitching and wavy tools.

cownsj Posted 26 May 2011 , 7:45pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

RetiredNavyChief. I saw that stuff at michaels, But the box says that you can only get a couple of use out of it is it true??

I guess it depends on the size of the projects you make with it. I made a top and a bottom mold of a turle that was probably close to 4" front to back, and his head was in the air; and I've used less than half. And since it was my first time and I didn't know how much I would need, I used way more than I really did need, but I made a dozen turtles from the mold and no sign of any wear on it. For something like a zipper, I don't think you would use hardly any at all. For specialty type things, or one of a kind items you want to make into a mold, I think it's worth it's weight in gold.

mommynana Posted 26 May 2011 , 11:23pm
post #23 of 25

ValerieInga, Sounds simple enough, I`ll give that a try also being i have a little time thanks, Does anyone know if they sell that "Amazing Mold" in the stores ? I`ve seen a viedo and it looked so simple.

cownsj Posted 27 May 2011 , 3:10am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

ValerieInga, Sounds simple enough, I`ll give that a try also being i have a little time thanks, Does anyone know if they sell that "Amazing Mold" in the stores ? I`ve seen a viedo and it looked so simple.

They sell it at Michael's for around $20, and if you use a discount coupon it's that much less

mommynana Posted 27 May 2011 , 11:30pm
post #25 of 25

Cownsj, I have`t seen it at Micheals, But I`ll check again. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%