Hand Mixer (I Like It)

Decorating By leah_s Updated 23 May 2011 , 10:31pm by leah_s

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 6

OK, so we know I'm mostly a volume baker and have a 20 qt Hobart plus three KAs. But sometimes you just need a hand mixer. My 20 year old hand mixer was about to give up and it was time to buy another. I was fully intending to pick up the Cuisinart. DH came home with a mixer he'd found at Target as a surprise.

After I recovered (don't buy tools for a chef, seriously) I thought, hey let's give it a try.

It's actually good. It's got plenty of power - for a hand mixer that will be called on for mostly light duty work. It's a Black and Decker (probably why DH picked it) and it cost

wait for it

$20.
icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 6

Ha, so sweet! I bet it came with a free interchangeable drill bit that he wanted. Next time you want to whip your egg whites, check his tool shed icon_biggrin.gif

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 6

i used to have a black and decker mixer and loved it! it lasted for years before finally dying. i bought several others afterwards that broke within one or two uses (burnt out the motors). i'd buy another black and decker. i'm glad you ended up liking it!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 6

I have a little KitchenAid hand mixer that I used to make icing with and everything before I got my stand mixers, a long time ago!!!!

I still use it for small batches of mousse or pudding or whipped cream so I don't have to mess up an entire 6 qt bowl.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 6

Leah, is it this one?

http://www.target.com/Black-Decker-Watt-5-Speed-Mixer/dp/B000MVQEJ8

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MVQEJ8/?tag=cakecentral-20

I bought it long ago, before I got my Cuisinart stand mixers. Batter flew everywhere and that's when my boyfriend took me to the store to get my first stand mixer...lol.

I am afraid of it! I never used it again. Back then I paid $50 for it and I want to give it away to someone who will use it. Do you find the speeds OK on yours? I'm going to check it out tonight and see what I have.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6

Yep, the first link. That's it.

I have it is basic black.

The spatula thingie is pretty lame, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%