Has Anyone Tried The New Wilton Sugar Sheets?

Decorating By joycesdaughter111 Updated 26 May 2011 , 4:28am by mygirlssweet

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 15

Has anyone tried the new Wilton sugar sheets?
Just wondering if regular craft punches will work on these and also what they taste like. Thanks

14 replies
JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 15

Yes, I did get a chance to use them for the first time last weekend on this cake:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2040811

I used them over gumpaste to make a zebra loop. I did see another forum running around on the site about how expensive they are though.. I really don't think they taste. They are very similar to image transfers if not the same!!

I forgot to add, that they should work with regular craft punches! I used an exacto knife to cut mine. They are on a plastic sheet so you could punch it and peel off. I had to use the exacto knife to get under the icing sheet to peel them off.

joycesdaughter111 Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 15

I think I'll try them. Michael's has a buy two get one free deal going on this week on all the new punches, sugar sheets and the new molds.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 15

I just got my new cricit cake today. I splurged and bought the new wilton sugar sheets to try. They are very very thin. They cut very well and for the first try at both I was pleased. The taste was kind of like rice candy. Not bad .
I am looking for a good fondant recipe to use If anyone has one.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 May 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 15

Go figure I went looking for them today, I saw them last week, and they are out until next week, and I need them by friday.

I was wondering how much a 3.99 pkg would cover in a cake...and how easy it was to peel off and attach....thanks.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:13am
post #6 of 15

The package I saw said it contains one 8 X 10 sheet.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 15

For the most part my small designs I cut out came out great. But it is very thin and I'm sure it dried out quickly because I didn't know what I was doing. Some parts of it broke off being so dry. Make sure and cover it up right away even after you cut it. It did lift off very easily . It only comes 1 sheet to a package. Ugh! Pricy
Still trying to figure out my new machine so I'm not sure just how many things you can cut out.

Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 15

i love them, they cut easy and that have peel away letters in black and in colors. they taste good, and as long as you keep them covered (wilton also came out with a mat thing that keeps gumpaste from drying out) then they are great. nice for making small details.... you can cut them with scissors. great for making curly ribbons, and what i love best is there is no throw away, at worst, whatever scraps you have left are confetti. i dont know if i will invest in the punches, i think they have too much of an artificial look if you ask me, but for using it for anything else it is great.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 15

I cut out some butterflies using a Martha Stewart craft punch and they came out beautifully. I did peel the sheet off the backing first and had no problem, attached the wings to a fondant body using piping gel.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 25 May 2011 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 15

I used it on one of my graduation cakes and it worked wll for cutouts. it does tear easy so be gentle.

joycesdaughter111 Posted 25 May 2011 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks all of you for the help. These sound like they're going to be a lot of fun.
I have many craft punches I can try out on these sugar sheets. icon_smile.gif

PandaMin77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PandaMin77 Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:17am
post #12 of 15

is there a way to make sugar paper?

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 26 May 2011 , 2:34am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMitchell

Yes, I did get a chance to use them for the first time last weekend on this cake:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2040811

I used them over gumpaste to make a zebra loop. I did see another forum running around on the site about how expensive they are though.. I really don't think they taste. They are very similar to image transfers if not the same!!

I forgot to add, that they should work with regular craft punches! I used an exacto knife to cut mine. They are on a plastic sheet so you could punch it and peel off. I had to use the exacto knife to get under the icing sheet to peel them off.

If you peel the plastic off before cutting your shape, it will come right off. Just be sure to cut (with scissors) the amount needed.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:07am
post #14 of 15

Are these sheets fondant or gum paste? I'm guessing it's not probable that you could roll your own out this thin, right?

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 26 May 2011 , 4:28am
post #15 of 15

Took a look at them today. Holy Expensive!!! It would have to be for a very special cake before I would pay that price. The punches, I thought looked really bulky and the designs, so so. I was really hoping they would be a managable price so I could give them a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%