Covering Ganache Cake With Fondant

Decorating By lyndim Updated 24 May 2011 , 4:20am by sugarshack

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 7

I tried covering a ganache covered cake with fondant and had the worst time! The fondant kept sticking to the ganache so it wouldn't lay smooth icon_cry.gif It had terrible wrinkles, does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

6 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 7

What recipe did you use for the ganache? I use 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate, 2 tablespoons butter, 3/4 cup cream and a splash of vanilla. Mine hardened up enough to cover with no problems.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I'll give your recipe a try!

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with sweettreat101, you have to use a ganache recipe that hardens. I use Sharon Zambito's method of ganache making... equal parts heavy cream to chocolate pieces, let stand overnight at room temp until it has the consistency of peanut butter, then cover cake and let harden overnight again at room temp.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry forgot to add that I let it sit overnight at room temp before using the ganache.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, after letting the ganache set up initially and thicken in the bowl, you have to leave the ganache on the cake to set, otherwise it will be sticky. This can take anywhere between a few hours to overnight, depending on the recipe.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:20am
post #7 of 7

Was your ganache firm like a chocolate shell? You have to use at least 2 parts semi sweet choc to one part cream for that purpose. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%