To Assemble Or Not To Assemble??

Decorating By nicunurse Updated 24 May 2011 , 8:19pm by nicunurse

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 10

I am delivering my first wedding cake in a couple of weeks. 3 tier stacked, lots of gumpaste flowers. I have delivered assembled and doweled many cakes this size, but my concern is I am nervous to assemble at the venue as it would be my first time. Should I attempt to pre-assemble and deliver or am I better off doing it at the venue? Also, any tips/tricks to help make it go smoothly? Thanks in advance for any help.

9 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 10

Why change what has worked for you in the past and add extra stress?

nicunurse Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 10

Well, that does make sense doesn't it? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:26am
post #4 of 10

If you can carry it and are confident in your support system then go with what works for you.

nicunurse Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 10

I think my concern is the numerous flowers on the cake. I do alot of fondant cakes and haven't transported a cake with so many fragile flowers. I guess it is lack of experience that has me worried. I read tons of posts on how to's and try to learn from the experts here, and it seems that most cakes are assembled on site. I think I would be more worried if I had an audience watching me! icon_sad.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:07am
post #6 of 10

Oh that makes sense. I have only done cakes with a few flowers and I did attach them on site. I was there early enough that the only people to watch me were the people setting up and they were pretty busy on their own. How are you attaching the flowers? Wires? Chocolate?

nicunurse Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 10

Probably a combination of both. Wires for the larger flowers and melted choc for the fillers, small roses etc. I have been reading alot about wires in cakes and that you should use straws etc. What is your opinion on that? Thanks again.

nicunurse Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 10

Probably a combination of both. Wires for the larger flowers and melted choc for the fillers, small roses etc. I have been reading alot about wires in cakes and that you should use straws etc. What is your opinion on that? Thanks again.

sillywabbitz Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 10

For the flowers with wires and chocolate I think they should be sturdy. Also was thinking you could wire groupings together and then apply them quickly at the reception site. THe cake would be stacked but you could travel the flowers in a padded box.

Ahh the wire in cake debate. I am probably not the right person to ask. I'm crazy paranoid about things not being food safe and everything I read you're not supposed to put wires in cakes. You don't have to use drinking straws though. You can use coffee stirs that are very narrow and slide the wires into those. If you have a large grouping then you could cut a section of a regular drinking straw. One thing about the straws is it will give extra support to holding the flowers onto the cakes, especially if you put a bit of fondant or chocolate into the straws before you insert the wires.

Honestly I don't do that many florals so I really hope other people will pop in and give you some advice.

nicunurse Posted 24 May 2011 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you sooo much! The groupings was exactly what I was thinking. The coffee stirrers is a fab idea. Now if I can get all the flowers done I should be in good shape! How time consuming! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%