Chocolate Covered Icing

Baking By cookiedoescakes Updated 24 May 2011 , 10:32am by Valkstar

cookiedoescakes Posted 23 May 2011 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 8

I came across a picture of a chocolate covered cupcake. Well the icing was chocolate covered and I would love to tryi this. I would like to know if anyone knows how this is done. I think its done with candy melts but I dont know if it dipped or poured. Does anyone know?

7 replies
Cupcations Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 8

Can you please post a picture/link?

Valkstar Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

Do you mean hi hats? These are chocolate cupcakes with mallow frosting covered in chocolate. I made my first ones last week and they're really simple.

Just make your cake as normal, pipe the mallow frosting on top and put them in the freezer for 15 - 30 minutes.

In the meantime, melt some chocolate and let it cool down, but still melted. Then dip each cupcake into the chocolate. The frosting is so cold that it sets the chocolate within seconds.

I've just added photos of mine to the gallery icon_smile.gif

cookiedoescakes Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 8

yes yes yes Valkstar those are exactly what Im talking about. So they are called high hats! I love the way yours came out. I will try it sometime in the next two weeks. Just one question...How do you make the mallow icing?

Cupcations please take a look at Valkstars picture to see it.

cookiedoescakes Posted 23 May 2011 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 8

Valkstar Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 8

Here's the frosting recipe I's basically Italian meringue.

2/3 cup egg whites (4 to 5 whites) 
A pinch of salt 
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

For the Sugar Syrup:

1-1/3 cups sugar 
1/2 cup water

Beat the egg whites at slow speed until the foam throughout, add the salt and cream of tartar, gradually increase the speed to fast, and beat to soft peaks. Turn the machine to slow as you complete the sugar syrup.

Bring the sugar and water to the simmer, swirl the pan to dissolve the sugar completely, cover tightly and boil to the soft-ball stage (234°F to 240°F; 112°C to 116°C on a candy thermometer).

Beating the egg whites at moderately slow speed, dribble into them the boiling syrup trying to avoid the wires of the whip. Increase speed to moderately fast and beat until cool and the egg whites form stiff, shining, upstanding peaks. The meringue is now ready to use as your recipe directs.

We don't have marshmallow fluff sounds divine!

Valkstar Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:32am
post #8 of 8

I meant to say...I first saw them on Bakerella's website - thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%