Cricut

Decorating By JenTwirl Updated 6 Jun 2011 , 6:06pm by tiggy2

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 7

Can you upload your own design to cricut cake? I saw that you can do that on the regular cricut. If so, does anyone know how?

6 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about the Cricut - I think you need to stick to the cartridges. but with the Silhouette and add-on Make The Cut software you can input your own designs but Make the Cut allows you to take apart the design and remove all the "junk" you don't need, then reconstruct it again and print.

cupcakediva82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakediva82 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, I don't mean to high-jack this thread but have a add on question. A few other threads mention the Silhouette and add-on Make The Cut software. I found the Silhouette website but it doesn't mention about using the machine for food grade items. Then I saw another thread that said to purchase a food grade printer and connect it to the Silhoutte. Can someone please help me understand what products and how they work together to create your own images/designs? The use of cartridges seems really limiting with the Cricut Cake.

Thanks in advance!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakediva82

Hi, I don't mean to high-jack this thread but have a add on question. A few other threads mention the Silhouette and add-on Make The Cut software. I found the Silhouette website but it doesn't mention about using the machine for food grade items. Then I saw another thread that said to purchase a food grade printer and connect it to the Silhoutte. Can someone please help me understand what products and how they work together to create your own images/designs? The use of cartridges seems really limiting with the Cake.

Thanks in advance!

Linda McClure has her classes on DVD and takes you step by step on how to use the sillhouette, MTC and an edible image printer. Just google her name and cna find her website. If you're considering the silhouette I highly recommend getting it from her as she has a special blade for gumpaste/fondant that you can't get anywhere else. The blades that come with the silhouette bought elswhere WONT work with gumpate and fondant. She also has youtube videos showing her method.

tiggy2 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenTwirl

Can you upload your own design to cake? I saw that you can do that on the regular . If so, does anyone know how?

Provcraft has sued the software companies so you can no longer use them with the the cricut machines. I highly recommend the silhouette and Linda McClure's instructions.

cupcakediva82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakediva82 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Tiggy2! Before I contact Linda (found her site), do the images created by her methods print directly from the Silhouette or do you also have to get a food printer? She mentions a lot about gumpaste, can it also be used with MMF?

Thanks again!

tiggy2 Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 7

You have to have an edible image printer to use the print and cut feature. MMF is too soft to use. Her recipe is the best but I have had pretty good luck with Wilton fondant with tylose added. I've also used frosting sheets with great success. The main key is rolling thin (with pasta roller) and letting dry over night (per her instructions).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%