Does Anyone Know How To Clean A Silver Cake Plateau?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 23 May 2011 , 7:05pm by KakeMistress

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know how to clean a silver cake stand? One of my silver stands is starting to look a little gold rather than silver. I'm not sure if it is just tarnishing, rusting, or what. I know not to use an abrasive on it. I don't have any tarnish remover or silver polish in the house. Can I use something like a baking soda mixture or maybe a mild soap and water? Any home cleaning solutions I can use?

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 6

i dont' know of any home solutions but I used a silver cleaner that I bought at Dollar General so it doesn't have to be anything expensive! It worked great. It was a paste that came with a sponge. Dampen the sponge, dab some of the cleaner, and it gets in every crevice. Took less than 10 minutes.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 6

A little baking soda mixed with water and gently rubbed on with a soft cloth or sponge works great. I've used it on badly tarnished silver photo frames and its brought them up like new. x

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 6

If it's real silver then I have an easy solution for you. In your sink, put the stopper in, and line the bottom of the sink with aluminium foil, and sprinkle some washing soda crystals on it. Put the silver stand in the sink and the dirt will be magically taken off the stand and transferred to the foil. It's really easy, but has to be genuine silver.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up using the baking soda with water mixture and a mr clean magic eraser sponge. My stand looks like new!

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 23 May 2011 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 6

Bar Keepers friend is amazing, I know you got it clean already but seriously consider using that next time, I have a candle stick that is silver and had a pain getting it off with baking soda so I tried bar keepers friend (I also use it on my glass stove top and with my stainless steel pots and pans) it is amazing and works so well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%