Hair Salon On A Budget??

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 9:27pm by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 26

I have a client who is doing a grand opening for a hair salon, and would like a spectacular cake for the party! Kicker is, she has a budget of $100 or less icon_confused.gif
What I can do cake wise is a tiered cake, I was thinking a 10 and 6 in...but then decorations would be limited...any ideas? I was thinking a chocolate topper that looked like an abstract face and hair, but no face..not sure I know someone here will have some great ideas! Or pictures for inspriation! The colors are burgundy, milk chocolate brown (her walls), white and black!

25 replies
leah_s Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 26

Well, for her budget, you both have to be realistic.

It honestly sounds like you're in sheet cake neighborhood.

ConfectionsCC Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 26

I dont wanna do a sheet cake icon_sad.gif plus, sheet cakes in my area are about $35 for a 1/4 and $45 for a 1/2!! super cheap, one reason I refuse to do sheet cakes! Avg prices range between $2 and $3.50 per serving depending on details and fondant or BC. I want to make sure she has a really cute cake for her budget, after all, my name is on that cake! HMMMMMM Budgets are so difficult. I was thinking, like to get ya'll opinions...a white bc cake, burgandy ribbon boarder, then maybe color flow or chocolate sorta graphic designs of a face and flowing hair topper, then little blow dryers and combs...scissors around the cake. If I charge $2.50 a serving (my going price for BC with fondant accents) You think that would be more work than I am getting paid for?

Minstrelmiss Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 26

What if you create two designs for her to look at. One simple and within her budget and the other 25% or so higher and more elaborate. This way she can see what a little more would get her. I often offer three price points and most often people want the "best" one. Think options on a car, crank windows vs electric.

ConfectionsCC Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

What if you create two designs for her to look at. One simple and within her budget and the other 25% or so higher and more elaborate. This way she can see what a little more would get her. I often offer three price points and most often people want the "best" one. Think options on a car, crank windows vs electric.

hhmmmm good idea

MFARAH1020 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 26

If you are building your porfolio go for it, do the best cake you can, I know you are not getting pay a lot for the cake but they are paying you for the materials, you can get several clients after you make that cake. Add a lot of details like blow dryers, combs and scissors will make the cake look fantastic.
here is an idea
http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake1487.jpg

kel58 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 26

I agree with PP. If you are looking to build than i would go a little above and beyond. There will likely be lots of people who will see the cake and lots of word of mouth advertising coming out of the salon. I am a hairdresser and I can tell you that we are constantly giving people names of other bussinesses to help them plan weddings, parties, fundraisers, and tonnes of other events. We could interact with 25+ people a day and weddings a big part of bussiness.

I think its great idea to pitch a few ideas at different price points then let the client decided if its worth paying that little bit more. I might have to use that idea one day.

Our local bulk barn sells a chocolate mold set of scissors and other typical hairdressing supplies. Maybe your could use something like that.

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 26

Well..I guess you have to look at as how much extra do you want to give.If you want to do a great cake knowing she won't pay you more than the $100.00 then you have to decide whether you want to do it and maybe get more business or lose money.I learnt along time ago not to let me heart play into the decision.If I gave into every customer who said they could only afford x amount of dollars but wants a cake 3 times more then I would be broke...It is strictly business..I understand that not everyone can/wants to spend the money on one of my cakes but that is the beauty of it..You don't have to if you can't afford it ...but someone else will..I can't tell you how many times over the years I went into Walmart or other places and I really wanted something for me or my kids and I had to just walk away broken hearted because I couldn't afford it!!I don't think Walmart would have given me a deal or cared if I went to the desk and tried to cry the blues...(Not saying that that is what she did)

Present the owner of the Salon with a few options in her price range and be done with it..If she books great if she declines..Oh well!!JMO

ConfectionsCC Posted 23 May 2011 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 26

Well, shes already booked, ordered from me before I was a bussiness, and I have already had 2 people come to me on her recomendations...thinking about that I think I will go ahead and give her a little more and stretch her dollar! She told me to give her a handful of cards because she is always telling people about me! With that said, you think its a good idea then to go ahead and give her a little extra??? I really do want to make this cake cool! I am leaning to giving more because shes proving to be a good customer. I didn't even think of that when I first posted!

MFARAH1020 Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:12pm
post #11 of 26

It is a good idea to give her a little extra, maybe you can even place your business cards next to the cake on opening day. Good luck and post a picture of your cake, i will love to see it.

MariahS Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 26

I think giving a little extra for a friend who has helped out your business is fine - it's whatever YOU are fine with. If there is someone you want to 'go the extra mile' for, then go for it. Just know they might expect that in the future too icon_wink.gif

On the design front, I personally LOVE your idea of a face (with or without details) with hair...I envision a face half covered with hair, made-up eyes and mouth with hair flowing/swirling around it (maybe even like a blow-dryer was blowing it). Maybe *something* like this:

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/matik22/matik220904/matik22090400010/4737522-abstract-face-of-woman-with-swirls-hair.jpg

Occther Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:49pm
post #13 of 26

Just be careful if you give her a fabulous cake at a discount rate, let her know so she doesn't quote the price to someone else. I had that happen to me when I first started - and then no one wanted to pay the actual price.

sugarxosugar143 Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Well..I guess you have to look at as how much extra do you want to give.If you want to do a great cake knowing she won't pay you more than the $100.00 then you have to decide whether you want to do it and maybe get more business or lose money.I learnt along time ago not to let me heart play into the decision.If I gave into every customer who said they could only afford x amount of dollars but wants a cake 3 times more then I would be broke...It is strictly business..I understand that not everyone can/wants to spend the money on one of my cakes but that is the beauty of it..You don't have to if you can't afford it ...but someone else will..I can't tell you how many times over the years I went into Walmart or other places and I really wanted something for me or my kids and I had to just walk away broken hearted because I couldn't afford it!!I don't think Walmart would have given me a deal or cared if I went to the desk and tried to cry the blues...(Not saying that that is what she did)

Present the owner of the Salon with a few options in her price range and be done with it..If she books great if she declines..Oh well!!JMO

thats exactly how i think! lol i always get the random customer who begs for an amazing cake worth 3x what they want to pay and my favorite part is when they say "its only a cake! why is it that expensive!?!" if its "only a cake" go buy a premade one from walmart or a grocery store! lol

sugarxosugar143 Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:09pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Just be careful if you give her a fabulous cake at a discount rate, let her know so she doesn't quote the price to someone else. I had that happen to me when I first started - and then no one wanted to pay the actual price.

haha! i learned that the heard way when i first started too!!!

Kaykaymay Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:29pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarxosugar143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

haha! i learned that the heard way when i first started too!!!

Exactly!! You can also work out a more realistic price for your cake and let her know the TRUE value of your cake and then tell her that because she is such a good costumer you will make it for her at a discounted price.

lakish Posted 23 May 2011 , 11:33pm
post #17 of 26

i saw couple of faces here on CC done by 'aldoska'. those are wonderful

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1548170
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1587241 HTH

MariahS Posted 24 May 2011 , 1:32am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakish

i saw couple of faces here on CC done by 'aldoska'. those are wonderful

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1548170
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1587241 HTH

Those are both SO beautiful! Definitely great inspiration icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:21am
post #19 of 26

If you want to do something crazy, make it an "It" cake. Do you remember the Munsters? It and floor length hair. It could be a tiered cake with hair going all around and a pair of scissors on the side. Or "It" sitting in a salon chair waiting for a haircut. Or you could just go classy and style your cake as a fashion statement.

Mo-Mo73 Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:43am
post #20 of 26

I use to work in a hair salon...Im a hairdresser and I got a few ideas to throw at you..first thing is to include the colors of the salon..maybe on top her Logo so to speak done in chocolate or fondant or whatever you prefer..also..the idea of having different things that relate to hairdressing..scissors, comb, spray bottle..etc..maybe a can of hairspray or gel bottle..all these little things could be included on the cake..it all depends on how much youre willing to do really..for sure her colors and logo...hth...=)

ConfectionsCC Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:29pm
post #21 of 26

Okay If i can figure out how to attach this, here is a rough sketch of my idea...the bc i want to do a diamond impression on the bottom, and little tiny dots on top similar to the pinkcakebox design!
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc462/confectionscustomcakes/?action=view¤t=angela.jpg

the final cake would look better, and be a little "fuller" of details, and of course, the sign would look better LOL!!

Karadactyl Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #22 of 26

I think its gonna look great!

HaydenSC Posted 24 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #23 of 26

It would be great to get the exposure from doing this cake for the salon! My question is:
If you pack the cake full of awesome bonus decorations for her, is she going to pack some awesome bonus styling products into a package for you? OR is she going to give you some extras?
It is great to get the exposure when you are starting out and have them give you referrals. Just make sure it isn't a one way street. I would think they would give you referrals based on a job well done, regardless if you gave her bonus decorations!
Good luck with the cake! thumbs_up.gif

Minstrelmiss Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:22pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenSC

It would be great to get the exposure from doing this cake for the salon! My question is:
If you pack the cake full of awesome bonus decorations for her, is she going to pack some awesome bonus styling products into a package for you? OR is she going to give you some extras?
It is great to get the exposure when you are starting out and have them give you referrals. Just make sure it isn't a one way street. I would think they would give you referrals based on a job well done, regardless if you gave her bonus decorations!
Good luck with the cake! thumbs_up.gif

Great point. Maybe a labor for labor deal, I few hair cuts for extra style on her order.

Mo-Mo73 Posted 24 May 2011 , 9:36pm
post #25 of 26

bartering is good..i got a free disneyland ticket once for some free haircuts..totally worth it...=)

ConfectionsCC Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:27pm
post #26 of 26

Okay, Thanks ya'll SOOOOO much on helping me with this!! Here is a link to the photo! Hope ya;ll like and leave me some luv icon_biggrin.gif PLEASE HEHE!http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2062719

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%