Whipped Cream Icing And Decorating

Decorating By tcher97 Updated 23 May 2011 , 4:12am by KodiSnip

tcher97 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 2

Hi! Wondering if anyone has any tips for decorating a cake that is iced with whipped cream icing. I am making a graduation cake. The client wants whipped cream icing with navy blue and yellow accents. I worked with whipped cream icing once before. I used fondant decorations, and they of course, slid down the cake and bled onto the icing. I am wondering if I would have more success with other materials, such as jimmies. I am also not sure what I should use for writing. I would want to do writing in navy, but I know it would be difficult to get that deep color into whipped cream. Would decorating icing or gel work better, or would they bleed onto the icing as well? I may do some fondant decorations on lolipop sticks too since I know they at least won't be touching the icing! And while I'm talking about whipped cream icing, I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on what the best recipe is. I tried the wilton recipe using piping gel, but it was very lumpy. i had success with gelatin the first time, but the second try was lumpy. I bought some Whip it by Dr. Oetker but haven't tried it yet. Not sure if I should add sugar. The directions just say to add the whipping cream. I'd appreciate your tips! Thanks!

1 reply
KodiSnip Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:12am
post #2 of 2

if you choose to tint whipped cream always remember that it will never be a dark color and will always be more like pastels. I usually use buttercream for the accents and writing; which you can dye to deep colors. I make sheetcakes for my family all the time using stabilized whipped cream and always decorate the sides using buttercream. When I use fondant accents, they always are on top (so no sliding incidents).

It also helps to pop it in and out of the refrigerator to keep the whipped cream nice and firm icon_biggrin.gif Oh and I forgot I buy Pastry Pride whipped topping which you can whip up in the KA

Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%