How To Make Intervertebral Disc

Decorating By Charmed Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 9:37am by Pickulz

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:36am
post #1 of 11

I am planning to make a spine cake with 2 segments of vertebrae. Here is a picture of the model:
http://www.a3bs.com/Vertebra-Models/Lumbar-Spinal-Column-with-Prolapsed-Intervertebral-Disc-A76,p_1207_65_60_143.html

I don't know what to use to make the Intervertebral discs. I thought maybe a disc of jello/gelatin (with less water) to go between two cakes. I don't know maybe something else that looks more like the intervertebral disc.....I need your help and ideas thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 11

How many layers are you making for the vertebrae? When I looked at the model the first thought that popped in my mind was tootsie roll or caramels. If you make two separate cakes, maybe you could make a Styrofoam separator covered with caramels. Ive seen in some magazines where they roll caramels flat and cut stuff out. Once you pieced them on the separator, it probably would be easy to rub smooth.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 11

Why not make the discs from the Jello jigglers recipe on side of box? It would be a fun texture and yummy (as opposed to yucky inedible plain gelatin). Wouldn't that work?

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Why not make the discs from the Jello jigglers recipe on side of box? It would be a fun texture and yummy (as opposed to yucky inedible plain gelatin). Wouldn't that work?

You can add marshmallows to the hot jello to make them non-transparent as well.

Charmed Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

that is what I initially wanted to do but would it hold the weight of the cake? I don't know why I have the impression that it will melt!! would it?

Charmed Posted 23 May 2011 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

How many layers are you making for the vertebrae? When I looked at the model the first thought that popped in my mind was tootsie roll or caramels. If you make two separate cakes, maybe you could make a Styrofoam separator covered with caramels. Ive seen in some magazines where they roll caramels flat and cut stuff out. Once you pieced them on the separator, it probably would be easy to rub smooth.

it would be 2 layers with a disc in between. I want it to be kind of transparent like the way gelatin looks like.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 23 May 2011 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

it would be 2 layers with a disc in between. I want it to be kind of transparent like the way gelatin looks like.

Yep I wondered if jello would support the upper tier and if there would be sliding during transport. And having seen disc before (don't ask how), there's nothing transparent about them, so don't let that be an obsticle to you

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 23 May 2011 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 11

okay I can see the whole "would they hold the weight" question but i guess I had just pictured you having it like the picture that you posted where there is a post, then a layer with the first vertibrae, then the actual disc which is not setting directly on the vertibrae, then the second vertibrae which kind of hovers above the disc.

The picture I had in my head was a center column support with a cakeplate, vertibre, smaller cakeplate holding disc (sides extending beyond plate) a little above it, third cakeplate holding second vertibrae a little above that and then the other disc setting on the side. You may have to use smaller cakeplates and cover them with fondant to get the vertibraes to look right but that way no cake would be setting on a disc or even each other kinda like a backbone.

And what I had pictured for the discs were kinda like gummy bears (I zoomed in on the pic provided) actually putting a "hot dog weiner" shaped jiggler in place and then pouring the cooled melted "disc" colored jiggler stuff around it and letting it set. The picture doesnt show a transparent disc, it is actually not see through and melting a handful of marshmallows into the jiggler recipe would probably accomplish that.

If that idea isnt what you had in mind, then I would fondant cover the discs and airbrush them to look like the picture.

Hope any of that helps you... Happy Caking!!!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 23 May 2011 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 11

Yes, I agree with Mamadear - do not try to "support" anything on gelatin... unless you are going for the whole "herniated-disc-look" cuz that is what you would have.
There are a lot of cakes on here that appear to defy gravity, etc. but are actually supported with a center pvc pipe and separators - the tier above the disc needs only to appear to support it, again - do not place your tier on a disc made with jello/gelatin.

Charmed Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 11

Just wanted to say thank you for all your help thumbs_up.gif

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:37am
post #11 of 11

Im just curious who you are making the cake for??? My husband actually had a prolasped disc one time...never thought of making a cake for him though icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%