Airbrushed Buttercream Sheet Cake "wrinkles"?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 23 May 2011 , 3:32pm by QueDeeCakes

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:48am
post #1 of 6

When I airbrush a sheet cake iced in crusting buttercream, after it's dry, the slightest flex in the cake causes the surface to wrinkle - it almost looks like an edible image that's wrinkled. Is there a way to avoid this? You can see what I mean in the attached picture.

5 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 6

Your buttercream is cracking. You may try a different recipe and a stiffer cake board. The less flexible the cake board the less cracking.
I think the airbrushing just highlighted the fact that it's doing this.
I read somewhere that you can put a few drops of vinegar in the buttercream I believe it keeps it from cracking but you should google "buttercream cracking cakecentral" and you might find better responses. I use sugarshack's recipe with hi-ratio shortening and that stopped all my cracking issues. I also use cake drums or tripled up cake boards for cakes to avoid the boards bending. Hope that helps a little.

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 6

I've had that happen to me before. I usually put my cakes on 1/2" foamcore and have learned to double up on the larger cakes or use covered plywood. HTH

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the tips. The buttercream by itself doesn't crack like that - it's only when I airbrush it. I think it dries it out more, or something. I'll try using 3 cake boards next time.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 6

If it cracked after it was airbrushed, you'd be able to see the white BC in the exposed cracks.

QueDeeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueDeeCakes Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 6

This very thing happened to me...these cracks are a result of your cake board. Make sure you have sturdy enough support under your cake before moving it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%