Buy Or Make Fondant? Some Tips On Storage?

Decorating By Lovin_Cakes30 Updated 23 May 2011 , 3:00pm by alvarezmom

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 18

So far I have only made and used mmf. It takes a Long time when making a lot of colors and I am worried about storing it too long so end up wasting a lot...

Is it worth it to buy pre made fondant? If so what is your favorite ( cost-effective) kind?

Also...how do you wrap and store your home made mmf? What is your process for storage? I wouldn't mind still using mmf if I could make a bunch when I had time for later use...

17 replies
ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 18

Would love to know everone's thoughts on this too as I've bee having problems with my MMF.

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 18

Hey ladies! I had been buying the Wilton pre-made. I also have made MMF. For me with the MMF it's trial and error. I've tried 2 different recipies and found the 2cd worked better. Some complain about Wilton, but I add my own flavoring to it. Same with the MMF. I also learned that with darker colrs (i.e-red, black) I paint the fondant after it's on the cake. I did a lady bug cake and painted it instead of mixing and it looked awesome. I could have never achieved that by the strenous mixing. Others on here will tell you about different brands. They dont sell them locally so I deal with what I have. I added banana flavoring to the MMF fondant the other day and it was SO good. Again trial and error. But atleast with MMF it's like a $4 error as opposed to a $20!!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 23 May 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 18

I buy "Elite" for wedding cakes because it is "no fail"it is expensive but worth it. I like Fondx for all other cakes. I shop from caljavaonline.com because they always have good sales going on. hth

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 23 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #5 of 18

I use michelle foster's fondant, the recipe is on here. Since I started using that I have had no problem with tearing, or stretching, etc. Also it tastes delish and I have found it much easier to make then MMF, which I thought was a PITA. For storage I make big batches and then seal-a-meal them in the standard size I need. Good luck!

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 23 May 2011 , 12:37am
post #6 of 18

i started off using wilton fondant which is soooo easy to use for beginners, then i decided let me try mmf, i love the taste but unless u prefect it, it kind of tricky either its too dry or too sticky and it becomes a headache.. i have lately been using pettinice. its inexpensive and taste good.. I recently order samples from fondarific which always taste extra good but i found it to be a bit greasy and expensive.. fondx i heard is good.. so if i had to pick on from taste and price Pettinice is is.. :0)

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:54am
post #7 of 18

I have been wanting to try the Michelle Foster fondant...think I will now! I don't have a seal a meal system icon_sad.gif wish I did! Wonder if I could get it good enough wih press and seal? Where do you store your mff? Fridge? Counter? So far I have been just making what I think I will need and throwing out the rest but getting sick of that real fast! And thanks all on the pre made advice ... I am gonna try some and see if saving the time is worth it!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #8 of 18

I use Wilton's pre-made. I really like it and have never had problems with air and only once or twice with tearing and I think that was because I didn't roll and cover fast enough. I have always be able to get the color I wanted with Wilton too and while I can get it for $19 for 5 pounds, I almost never pay that. I can get it 40% off with a coupon either from Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's or Michaels almost always. I have to say though, it doesn't taste as good as the MMF I tasted, but I don't like the taste of fondant to begin with.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #9 of 18

Oh, and the other thing I like about Wilton's fondant is that in the 5lb package, it comes wrapped in 2.5lb packages. So it's great for smaller projects and I get very little waste from it drying out.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:05am
post #10 of 18

I make MMF unless I'm making a cake for a vegetarian, then I use satin ice. I hate, hate, hate Wilton's fondant, I think it has a weird chemical/preservative taste.

When coloring MMF, I usually just color the marshmallows when they come out of the microwave. Makes life a lot easier.

YellowBrickRd Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #11 of 18

Im definitely going to look up the recipie you all are talking about! If it's easier as you say I am ALL for it thumbs_up.gif

YellowBrickRd Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:14am
post #12 of 18

Im definitely going to look up the recipie you all are talking about! If it's easier as you say I am ALL for it thumbs_up.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:34am
post #13 of 18

I use this recipe found here on CC and it is great. Usually never a problem to store ( Plastic baggies) and its cost effective. Here in Florida I pay $1.99 for 2 lbs of PS and and about 1.79 for a large bag of MM. and than the shortening. It is fair and inexpensive and I think it tastes so much better and you can flavor it with anything. I would choose home made over Wiltons any day. And I have tried this in my Kitchen aid and it doesn't work that well for me, but still easy enough to to by hand.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15498/mmf-easy-peasy-used-kitchenaid

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:40am
post #14 of 18

I make my own rolled fondant. It's actually very easy to do, easy to work with, very cost efficient. And the taste is sweet and creamy, and melts in your mouth. If I need black or red, I'll buy virgin ice. It's pretty easy to work with, the taste isn't too bad, and the cost is reasonable.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:03am
post #15 of 18

I used to make my own mmf but as I started getting more and more orders, it just became too difficult to keep up with, AND my arms were too sore from kneading!! Now I use Fondariffic - its so yummy and great to work with. I has unlimited work time and it doesn't get elephant skin. I get a 2.5 lb bucket from Michaels (labled as the Duff brand) for $12.99 (I think it works out to with a 40% off coupon). I'll occasionally buy the Wilton's 5 lb box for $22 (plus a 40% off coupon of course!) for little decoration pieces, so I'm not using the good stuff!!

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:28am
post #16 of 18

Mmf is not bad....just finding if tiresome and I get little white sugar balls stuck in it even when I sift, let it sit a day and knead it forever! I want to try the duff. It is more at my michaels in WA though. What a great idea to use some of the wilton just for the little decorations. I just always hear that wilton smells and tastes like chemical so I wouldn't cover an entire cake but love the idea of using it for the small stuff to save "the good stuff"

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:41pm
post #17 of 18

I purchase Fondarific. I absolutely love the taste and texture. The biggest benefit to me is no mess to make it. It keeps for a year.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:00pm
post #18 of 18

I used to make my fondant. But never again. Texas weather is so "if-y" that it doesnt come out the same every time. I now buy the 20lb tub from Global when Satin Ice goes on sale. Its an extra $20 cheaper most times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%