New Wilton Tassel Making Deal

Decorating By gigiel Updated 31 May 2011 , 2:14pm by gigiel

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone tried the New Wilton Thing that looks as it would be perfect for making Graduation cap (mortarboard) tassels? It's purple and white, small and handheld. Very curious. Do you use gumpaste or a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste? I think it runs about 19.99.

9 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 10

I haven,t seen it. I would use 50/50 fondant and g/p mixture. That is what i use in my other tools for this. hth

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 10

Just bought it today but haven't used it. I hope it works and isn't a piece of garbage!

gigiel Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 10

I could've bought one, but hesitated as I didn't know if I'd get enough use out of it to make it worth the price. However if it works well, it could also be used to make tassels for pillow cake. Would you please come back and tell me if your worked well or not. I have debated using a garlic press as some have posted on CC. I just thought those holes in a garlic press might be way to small. I have a grad cake on June 4.
Thanks!!!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 23 May 2011 , 12:00am
post #5 of 10

Yeah, I heard about the garlic press thing, but wasn't sure. I tried the green makins clay extruder and it really was kind of sucky. I have yet to find one of these extruder things that works out for me. I hope this one is ast least ok. I used a 50 percent off coupon so for ten bucks I was willing to give it a shot. I am frightened that I may have to buy that 50 sugarcraft one. Argh. I don't want to! LOL!

gigiel Posted 23 May 2011 , 12:18am
post #6 of 10

Coupon was good idea! If you don't mind, and remember, please any feedback will be much appreciated.

gigiel Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:54am
post #7 of 10

Bought my own, will be answering my own question very soon.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:04am
post #8 of 10

I would love to know if this new thing works because my extruder SUCKS! Anxiously waiting... icon_smile.gif

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 4:23am
post #9 of 10

I saw that in the stores this week too. I was debating on buying also for graduation cakes and hair. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

gigiel Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 10

On first try with it, went very well. Keep smooth, even pressure on the 'handles' while you are pressing to avoid areas where the pieces are thinner than others on each individual strand. I used 50/50 fumpaste/fondant. Since a 40% off coupon was used, I'd say this is worth the money. Not the best looking tassel, but def. produces a decent tassel. I'm sure it's like everything else, after a few practice tassels are 'knocked out,' I'll bet they'll be great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%