Buttercream And Fondant

Decorating By ebwmom Updated 23 May 2011 , 1:44am by jules5000

ebwmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebwmom Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 5

Would it look tacky to do one tier in buttercream and one tier in fondant. All tiers will have fondant decorations but they will be seperated, not stacked.

4 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 5

I made a cake for my cousin last summer and the bottom tier was chocolate fondant because the cake was supposed to resemble a cut log and the top two tiers were butter cream. It turned out great. Ugly design that she picked but everyone loved it.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 5

There is nothing tacky about what you are suggesting in my book. Just make sure that your buttercream is super smooth. I have a friend who makes her buttercream so smooth people wonder if it is fondant. So I know that it is possible. I have even come really close a time or two myself.

Is there a particular reason that part of it is buttercream and part fondant?

ebwmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebwmom Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the feedback,
Jules5000- No particular reason for doing it that way other than I can't make up my mind about which one I prefer. I haven't worked alot with fondant other than decorations.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:44am
post #5 of 5

If you had the time and money to practice with fondant to be more confidant than why not do it all in fondant? But if you have the experience, not enough time or extra money then go with the buttercream and just get it super smooth. Buttercream, tastes better as far as 95% of the people I talk to go. They ask me what the advantages are of the fondant and I tell them it is more for looks than anything, but depending on what brand you use that most people really don't care that much for the taste of it. Most of the time they choose the buttercream. If I have a particular cake idea in mind and this is going to be a gift then I will use what I feel would be the best look. I have not mastered making my corners on square cakes real nice yet. they are still a challenge. I have read a few suggestions on these forums and do intend to try them out to see if I can get a better square to my corners. My round cakes are improving, but I still have work on them to do too. Most of the time it is not my icing job that is at fault. It is because I did not see something about my cake that could cause problems before I Iced it. then the problem sometimes gets worse. Sometimes it is the fault of the icing and usually that is when it is humid and it wants to take forever to crust. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%