Fir Trees

Decorating By bakin4luv Updated 24 May 2011 , 10:24pm by ajwonka

bakin4luv Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 5

How do I make a fir tree on a cake?

4 replies
niesirmans Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 5

There are a few ways you could do this. Are you using fondant or royal icing? I personally like to use fondant, roll it into an upside down cone shape and then using scissors, snip around the cone. It's easy and makes realistic trees. If you're using icing, I've seen people use an ice cream cone and then use the 'grass tip' to ice the cone. I've also seen a rod of gumpaste down the middle, with pretzel sticks stuck into it all around to make a tree shape. The pretzel sticks are individually iced, again using the 'grass tip' (tip 133). Hope this helps :*

poohsmomma Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 5

I have made them using sugar/waffle cones. I turn them upside down and pipe royal icing in them either using a small star or leaf tip. I have some on this Tangled cake, but I'm not sure from the picture that you can make out exactly what they look like.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2038930

Crazy-Gray Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:25am
post #4 of 5

I made loads of small fir trees for a forest on a 'map' cake each about 2-3" tall; I set out a sheet of styrofoam with cocktail sticks spaced well apart and piped royal icing directly onto the sticks, you have to let layers set well before adding the next as too much icing sags and dropps off. With the last layer simply use a cocktail stick point to pull out little peaks all over the surface; they look pretty realistic.
If you wanted bigger trees I'd suggest wrapping string around a wooden skewer to build bulk and support; this was just too fiddly for the little ones!
HTH

ajwonka Posted 24 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by niesirmans

I personally like to use fondant, roll it into an upside down cone shape and then using scissors, snip around the cone. It's easy and makes realistic trees. :*

That's how i make them too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%