First Wedding Cake ...nervous!!

Decorating By EvArt Updated 23 May 2011 , 2:30am by costumeczar

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 22 May 2011 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 6

I'm getting ready to do my first wedding cake this week. It's for my brother's wedding and I am getting so nervous!! I want it to come out perfect for them.. It's going to be 4 tiers high, all buttercream and a strawberry cream cheese filling.
My first qualm...smoothing the buttercream. Any tips appreciated.
2nd and biggest worry - transporting a stacked cake!! I stress a two layer stacked cake in transport....afraid I'm going to have a heart attack for 4 tiers!!
I've thought about taking it separated and stacking and finishing it there at their house...But I'll probably have an audience and tons of chaos going on around me for my first wedding cake!! Scarey. But the alternative is transporting a stacked cake. SCARIER!! lol

My plan is for the hubby to screw a long dowel onto my cake board base, giving me a central support to go up and through three layers and into the top layer. Then of course supporting the individual layers with dowels.
Hubby is pretty helpful usually, but HE thinks the cakes should be final frosted already stacked. I think they should be done and then stacked and then fix any mishaps..Feedback??
IF I stack the cake here at home, my plan is to place it in my freezer for about an hour before we leave. Not freezing it but allowing it to set up nice and hard before transporting.

I keep thinking and rethinking this darn thing!! I'm about ready to pull my already grayed hair out completely! lol
Any feedback, tips, suggestions, encouragement greatly appreciated!!

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 6

Tell your husband that you finish icing the cakes, THEN stack them.

Personally, I'd ice everything, dowel them, refrigerate overnight then transport in boxes separately and assemble on site. It would take the fear of moving a stacked cake out of the equation. When I transport four-tiered cakes I only stack the bottom two, then assemble the top two on site.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 22 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 6

Don't Stress! Not worth the years it will take off your life! LOL

Ok so there are several methods to smoothing buttercream one is right on CC
http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method this method used a high density foam paint roller. Then there is a viva paper towel method (only VIVA...with no print...but if you don't have Viva use parchment paper or computer copy paper) Just make sure it has crusted before you use theses methods. http://cakecentral.com/articles/71/how-to-create-faux-fondant-the-paper-smoothing-towel-method-viva I hope this helps! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 6

costumeczar > I was thinking the same on stacking the bottom layers and then carrying the top two and stacking on site. I'm thinking it's just going to save me some stress in the end. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

amyoungbl00d5 > Another cake friend led me to the same method of smoothing my buttercream, using the roller. I bought a roller and am armed and ready to smooth!! lol I've tried the paper towels and parchment, etc. and never was very impressed. So hopefully the roller will be the way to go. Thank you very much for your input too.

I appreciate any and all tips!!

cocoscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoscreations Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 6

I am also doing my 1st wedding cake in a month and it's for my sister! I am making 3 tiers, 14, 10, and 6. I am filling all of them and covering them in fondant, I am also very very nervous about it coming out perfect! I have to make a scroll going down the entire side of the cake so any suggestions on doing that??? ? Her theme is Peacock feathers. Anyone with advise please and thank you, I would def appreciate it! icon_eek.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:30am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoscreations

I am also doing my 1st wedding cake in a month and it's for my sister! I am making 3 tiers, 14, 10, and 6. I am filling all of them and covering them in fondant, I am also very very nervous about it coming out perfect! I have to make a scroll going down the entire side of the cake so any suggestions on doing that??? ? Her theme is Peacock feathers. Anyone with advise please and thank you, I would def appreciate it! icon_eek.gif

For a cake that size it's going to be fairly pyramid-shaped, so you can cover all the tiers in fondant, stack them all, then decorate it. It won't be very top-heavy so it won't fall over easily. I deliver stacked three-tiered cakes all the time, and as long as they're refrigerated ovrnight before delivery they get nice and firm and can be moved without any shifting. And yes, you can refrigerate fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%