Stacked Books

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 26 May 2011 , 3:52pm by ddaigle

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 22 May 2011 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask everyone who's done stacked books how they did the covers.

What did you use?

Thank you!

6 replies
rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #2 of 7

I made a cake with two books. Go to my webshots portfolio, page 8 and look at Fuzzy Thinker 2010. This was done for an art show & sale.

The books were a sheet cake that was cut more or less 2/3 - 1/3 proportion, and stacked at an angle. The smaller book is on its own board so it woulnd't sink into the larger book. I had wanted it originally to overhang, but given that the cake had a 1 hour trip by public transit to the university, and would sit all day on display (and then lugged home again because no one bought it) I made it a litttle smaller for stability.

Three edges were iced in white (actually ivory leftovers from the Mamma Mia cake) and the book edges textured with a fork. Also I took a flat tip like #45 and piped the colored icing just over the white to create an illusion of an edge. (If this had been judged show work I would have made more of a leatherwork tooled design on the book covers. But it was late at night and I was running out of steam.)

The cake has a dowel all the way through the bear and books. someone gave instructions on CC how to do that if you search for "Mr. Bear" and dowel. If I had thought of it sooner, the dowel could have included the hat on the head, but I thought of the hat only at the last minute, so the hat is on the side.

good luck and please share photos!

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 7

I used fondant to cover the one I made. It wasn't stacked, but you would do the same for a stacked one. You will need to dowel (or use straws) in your first tier to support the second book on top which will also sit on a cake board. I am actually making a stacked book cake myself next week. Good luck icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 7
buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:

This is what I used when making my first stacked book cake...excellent thread

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 7

I used fondant with tylose added to cover the 3 books I stacked (in my photos). I also used bubble tea straws for support.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 May 2011 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 7

Mine are all butter cream...except the top of the hat.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1698687

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%