Is A 6-Tier Too Heavy?

Decorating By Jess155 Updated 22 May 2011 , 10:17pm by sillywabbitz

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a special 6-tier in a few weeks. I've already ordered the SPS so it will be stable. I want to transport it stacked because I won't have time to stack it at the venue, and the design needs to be done stacked.

The highest I've done is 5 tiers and I assembled on site. Is a 6 tier going to be too heavy for my DH and I to carry in? It's a round 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and a square 16". The board will be 2" wood. It is my first time using SPS, so I'm hoping it will be secure.

Am I asking for trouble? I can lift my 50 pound 6 year old easily enough, and my DH is strong. Has anyone done this that could give me some feedback?

7 replies
Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 8

With the aide of a couple of guys, we were able to transport a 7 tier. And it involved driving over train tracks! I will tell you, it was a task! Recruit some help, and it is do-able. Scary? Yes, but do-able.

Jess155 Posted 22 May 2011 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 8

Awesome! I'm sure I can find someone to help if absolutely necessary, I just hate to have to count on someone else to help. I am so freaked out about it tipping or sliding. I've never had it happen, but this is my largest cake so far. We have to go over train tracks too. Thanks!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 May 2011 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155

Is a 6 tier going to be too heavy for my DH and I to carry in?

Probably not. If it's all BC, and isn't an extra heavy cake like carrot cake, it shouldn't weigh anymore than 58 lbs. total. (That's 38# or less for icing and decorations, and almost 20# for cake.) If you're using fondant, just figure that in as well.

Also consider the weight of your plywood, SPS, and additional boards, but it still won't be too heavy to lift with another person--awkward perhaps, but not too heavy.

As always, be sure to measure the available height in your delivery vehicle including the doorway opening.

Jess155 Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 8

Good point about measuring. It'll be in the back of our van, so hopefully it will be tall enough, but I'll make sure to measure to be absolutely positive. Thanks!

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 8

What does SPS mean?

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 8

Jess155...Good luck and I hope you post the results. We all learn from each other.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2011 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 8

I know lots of decorators use carts once at the venue, so you could consider investing in a cart if you think you will use it again or check with the venue if they have a cart you can use to get it from the van into the venue. No reason to kill yourself if you don't have toicon_smile.gif

@sugarlover - SPS is the single plate system by bakery craft. It's a system that allows you to support a tiered cake without dowels. You can read all about SPS at this thread
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-603925-0.html

Even though the pdf link looks like it doesn't work. It downloads fine for me. I started with SPS and will never use anything else. I have only done cakes up to 4 tiers but if I ever need larger I will still go with SPS. It's great and easy to use. Level, stable stacked cake every time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%