Freeze Cake-To Wrap Or Unwrap To Unfreeze

Decorating By cakingformykids Updated 22 May 2011 , 11:14pm by sweettreat101

cakingformykids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingformykids Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 4

I have started freezing my cakes based on what I have read on here. I keep them tightly wrapped until they are defrosted to make them yummy and moist. I am confused by some of the people that carve and ice cakes frozen. I thought you had to keep the cake wrapped to let the moisture go back into the cake. if you are carving and icing the cake still frozen won't it be dry?

3 replies
sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 4

I always level/carve/crumb coat while the cake is still frozen and, no I have never had any trouble with moistness. The key to a moist cake for me, is to wrap the cake while it is still warm out of the oven and freeze it right away. For some reason wrapping and freezing it while it is still warm keeps it moist.

creativecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecakemom Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 4

I also wrap & freeze mine out of the oven & then stack & crumb coat them after they've been frozen. It's so much easier & the cakes are always getting raves for how moist they are. It's much like flash freezing veggies or fruit at their perfect ripeness. The cakes right out of the oven are at their freshest so when you freeze them right away, they stay at their freshest!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 May 2011 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 4

I tried frosting my cakes while they were frozen and had problems with condensation and my butter cream sliding off he sides. I bake cool and wrap my cakes in plastic wrap and freeze. I take my cakes out of the freezer to thaw leaving the plastic wrap on. It generally takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours to thaw. I never have frosting problems using this method. I do carve my cakes while they are frozen but would never try frosting a cake while frozen again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%