Need Help

Decorating By miasmom82 Updated 22 May 2011 , 4:05pm by pmarks0

miasmom82 Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 2

I have a question. I am new to this and only do cakes for friends and family. I have taken the Wilton classes too. I have an issure with my icing pulling off the cake even when I using the icing tip. I don't put a crumb coat on but when I ice the cake it pulls causing crumbs. icon_cry.gif Do I need to start doing a crumb coat? Is my icing too thick? I want to do better cakes. If my icing is too thick will it make it harder to smooth out? I know lots of questions and appricate any help. Thanks icon_smile.gif

1 reply
pmarks0 Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 2

Yes I think you should us a crumb coat. I'm not sure the consistency of your icing, but it sounds like it's a medium-stiff consistency leaning towards stiff. Take some out and thin it to thin consistency for the crumb coat so it goes on easily. It doesn't need to be thick just enough to contain the cruumbs. You can go back to using the icing tip of you want but it sounds like your icing may be too stiff for what you're doing, so I'd think it a bit as well. I think icing in medium is what Wilton says, and it's definitely easier. It will smooth easier too. Your Wilton instructor should have taught you about consistency in the first class (at least mine did several years ago.) You will definitely find it easier to ice and smooth a cake if you're icing is the right consistency. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%