Buttercream Icing Changing Color????

Baking By mmmcake0072 Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:07am by anumz

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone,
Have a bit of an issue, was wondering if anyone out there had any info. The last few buttercream cakes that I have done have changed color after being iced and smoothed and have sat for a couple of hours.
At first I thought it was from th recipe I use.....coffee mate buttercream, but after this last cake I'm wondering if it has to do with the heat? The left over icing in the bowl has not changed color but the stuff on the cake has.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

5 replies
wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

What do you mean by changing color? Are they fading, getting darker or are the shades turning more yellow? Are they sitting where the sun shines on them? Are you freezing them after decorated?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 6

What colors specifically? Reds purples and some blues are famous for this. My understanding is the brand of color also effects the fading and people have had bad luck with certain Wilton colors. Cover the cakes to avoid sunlight and flourescent light. Bakery boxes work well but recently I've started using those 'nets' you put over food at picnics. Mine are solid colors and they're a great way to keep cakes covered while the icing crusts etc.

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 6

I love those picnic nets...I use them over cakes and while drying iced cookies!

mmmcake0072 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmcake0072 Posted 23 May 2011 , 2:49am
post #5 of 6

It was a tiffany blue that got much darker. The cake was not frozen nor in any sunlight. Weird thing, the leftover icing did not change color and was stored the same way as the cake. Was a wilton color.......but still the leftovers not changing? Hmmmm? Really worried about this, I have another large cake order in 2 weeks and would love to solve this before then!!!!! Super worried.

anumz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anumz Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 2:07am
post #6 of 6

Hi. Did you ever figure a way out to fix this? Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%