Urgent Help With Fondant....please!

Decorating By dchinda Updated 23 May 2011 , 4:29am by dchinda

dchinda Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:51am
post #1 of 8

I am working on an Alice in Wonderland hat & I am having trouble covering my four layer mad hatter cake. When I cover the cake, the fondant is too heavy & it starts pulling my buttercream. Do you usually wrap the fondant around a cake that is this tall or should I try again? TIA.

7 replies
Bettyviolet101 Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:17am
post #2 of 8

How thick do you roll your fondant? Is your buttercream super soft? I refrigerate mine before putting on the fondant to make sure its nice and firm. then you start at the top and slowly , but not too slowly, work my way down to the bottom with the sides of my hands. The smaller the cake the trickier it is.

shar7599 Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 8

Do you have it up on a stand of some kind? Make sure it's just on the board on a flat surface, you don't need any extra gravity. And then like the previous poster said, lay it on top, then start smoothing it down with your hands and work your way down the cake. Don't pull, just lift as you go around. Good luck, I hope it works out!

dchinda Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:36am
post #4 of 8

I actually put my cake in the freezer to firm up the buttercream. I have no trouble when I cover a two or three tier cake. I will try a second time & if it happens again, I guess I will just wrap the fondant around the cake. Thank you for your responses.

dchinda Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:12am
post #5 of 8

The second time I tried covering it, my fondant started to tear towards the top. So I tried wrapping the fondant around the cake & it kept stretching. I am going to try covering a third time tomorrow & pray that it works. I am too tired to try again tonight. Any other tips anyone can give??

Darthburn Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:52am
post #6 of 8

Like Betty asked... how thick is your fondant? If it's thin to start with, it will stretch and tear. Are you using MMF or MFF or Satin Ice... ? If you're using MMF you can add more powdered sugar and sturdy it up a bit more to keep it from stretching. MFF (from what I hear) needs a little glycerin (I believe... someone will correct me if I'm wrong) to help it not tear.

I don't think 4 layers is too much to cover in one sheet, but I used to have a bad habit of making only so much MMF and thin rolling and rolling it out until it would fit 4 layers, even though it was only enough for 2 layers. Add some more fondant and roll it a bit thicker maybe. icon_smile.gif

HTH... let us know if it comes out. icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:57am
post #7 of 8

wrapping it will be hard; I've tried that.

Get it 1/4" thick or less but not much, start with it over the whole cake on a flat table (I switched to this after having the weight of the fondant hanging off a tall stand, tearing it), smooth it quick on top and just over the edge of the cake so that part is pressed against the cake firmly, make sure you don't have tons of extra, um...diameter?...so there's not a lot of excess weight there. Smooth down around from the top with your hands, press it right to the cake fairly quickly that first half the way down, so it doesn't start to tear at the top edge, and watch that top edge for tearing. If you get a bit, you can make sure that's the "back" of the cake, but there shouldn't be much if any. (of course perfectly none would be *best*) Then work on the bottom excess folds and etc to get that part dealt with. Mainly, work quick on the top edge and first 2" down, and get that adhered to the cake so it's not pulling.

that's about all I can offer...

dchinda Posted 23 May 2011 , 4:29am
post #8 of 8

I FINALLY got the hat cake covered, it only took me 5 times! :cry
It had so many tears so I tried covering most of them with the ribbon. I was so exhausted trying to get this darn thing covered. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%