Pennsylvania Requirements For A Custom Cake/cupcake Shop

Business By sugarandstuff Updated 25 May 2011 , 2:15am by sugarandstuff

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:21am
post #1 of 9

I am looking at a commercial space in PA that is small and not currently a food establishment and will need some construction to make it work. I have a few questions hopefully someone can help as i lay out floor plans for the builder(who is the landlord)
He had some concerns over the plumbing/sinks - what are the sink requirements - is a 3 bay appropriate for washing the dishes and if so does it need to be a specific size in the bins - is a "slop/mob sink" necessary - and is a hand washing sink ok if it is in the rest room)
Another question I have is any recommendations on the oven? - I want to buy a good one used and keep it as budget-freindly as possible

8 replies
tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:26am
post #2 of 9

Contact local authorities. Only they can answer this question definitively.

sugarandstuff Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:07am
post #3 of 9

Thanks - I thought maybe someone would know a little bit so I could get started on my layout this weekend - I was told to put together a floor plan and then he was going to have his architect review it to make sure it met the building codes.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:25am
post #4 of 9

People will get on here and argue what is is and what isn't legal for you. Only your local authorities can tell you that info for sure. I'm giving you a REAL answer and not just an opinion.

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:10am
post #5 of 9

I don't know if you can get the answers you need from PA Dept of Ag. If you want to contact them , the number is 717-787-4315. I contacted my local health inspector also and he was able to answer some of my questions. What county are you in?

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 9

You would probably want to contact the PA Dept of Ag. Here is the contact information:

Regional Offices

Region 1 (Clarion, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, McKean, Mercer, Venango and Warren)
13410 DUNHAM RD, MEADVILLE PA 16335 814-332-6890

Region 2 (Cameron, Clinton, Columbia, Lycoming, Northumberland, Montour, Potter, Schuylkill, Snyder, Tioga and Union)
542 COUNTY FARM RD, SUITE #102, MONTOURSVILLE PA 17754 570-433-2640

Region 3 (Bradford, Carbon, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, Monroe, Northampton, Pike, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Wayne and Wyoming)
RT 92 SOUTH, PO BOX C, TUNKHANNOCK PA 18657 570-836-2181

Region 4 (Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington and Westmoreland)
#6 MCINTYRE RD, GIBSONIA PA 15044 724-443-1585

Region 5 (Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Centre, Clearfield, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Mifflin and Somerset)
1307 7TH ST, CRICKET FIELD PLZ, ALTOONA PA 16601-4701 814-946-7315

Region 6 (Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lebanon, Lancaster, Perry and York)
PO BOX 5184, HARRISBURG PA 17110-0184 717-346-3223
PHYSICAL ADDRESS (when using overnight delivery services):
THE FARM SHOW COMPLEX, MACLAY STREET SIDE, 2ND FLOOR, HARRISBURG, PA 17110

Region 7 (Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia)
1015 BRIDGE RD, COLLEGEVILLE PA 19426 610-489-1003

kpry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpry Posted 24 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 9

In addition to checking with the Dept of Ag, check with the township. Every towship has different rules as far as mop sinks other items that the Dept of Ag may or may not require.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 24 May 2011 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpry

In addition to checking with the Dept of Ag, check with the township. Every towship has different rules as far as mop sinks other items that the Dept of Ag may or may not require.

Yes, definitely check with the township first. I am in the process of getting my home kitchen licensed and the Dept of Ag requires township approval, in writing, first.

sugarandstuff Posted 25 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #9 of 9

Thanks - this is actually a retail location. I called the county today and it looks as though all my square footage would have to be taken up in sinks icon_smile.gif 3 bay plus drainboards, another food prep sink, a hand wash sink in the food prep area and finally a mop/slop sink. Doesn't look too promising and leaving me oh so fed up w/ trying to find somewhere that isn't going to bankrupt me from day one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%