Butter Cream...your My Worst Enemy!

Baking By TheBakingNurse Updated 23 May 2011 , 3:09pm by Rhonlynn

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:58am
post #1 of 9

So i have tried and tried to work with butter cream and i just dont know what i am doing wrong. Everytime i try to frost a cake i can always see the cake through my bc. I always crumb coat and let it set in fridge for a while before i frost. Also my bc does not crust...so the viva method really does not work for me it just peels off my bc. The recipe i use is...
* 2 sticks butter- one salted one unsalted
*1 stick crisco
* 4 tbsp hot water
* Powder sugar to desired consistancy
Any suggestions???

8 replies
StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:05am
post #2 of 9

This is the recipe I use and I have never had a problem with it. It crust nicely also. HTH

22 tbs salted butter, softened (about 3 sticks)
2/3 c. Crisco shortening
5-8 tbs heavy cream
2 tsp clear vanilla
2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1-3 tbs corn syrup

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:24am
post #3 of 9

If you can see your cake through your bc, you're not using enough of it. Try SugarShack's buttercream DVD. It dramatically improved my bc skills.

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:27am
post #4 of 9

How much powdered sugar do you think you're using? For that much butter and crisco, it should be at least 2 lbs... maybe you're not using enough?

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 22 May 2011 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 9

Angel_cake- i am using about 1.5 lbs so maybe i do need more ps. Stacy thanks for the recipe i will try that next weekend! Cakegirl- thats what i was thinking and i always try to put on more but it just scrapes off what i have already applied...I will try the DVD though thanks everyone for your help!!!

annboleyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annboleyn Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 9

I have used this recipe successfully for years!!

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup crisco
3 lbs. powdered sugar
flavoring
water (start with 1/2 cup and add a little at a time until desired consistency is reached)

If you are using the paper towel method, the icing must be thicker. Let the iced cake crust before using the paper towel. I personally do not like the Viva...I like a paper towel with a texture in it.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 9

You're going to have many choices of Bc recipes now LOL.

I've used the same recipe for years. It was ok not fantastic but world. Then I stumbled on this thread

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=713347&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

And my whole BC world was changed!! The recipe in the thread IA hands down the most delicious, smooth, easy to work with BC ever! It stabilizes so well, I've changed the BC recipe we use in my shop that's how much I love it. I've now done 4 cakes with it and love love it!!

The thread has some amazing smoothing tips too icon_smile.gif

GL let us know how your next BC attempt goes.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 May 2011 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakingNurse

Angel_cake- i am using about 1.5 lbs so maybe i do need more ps. Stacy thanks for the recipe i will try that next weekend! Cakegirl- thats what i was thinking and i always try to put on more but it just scrapes off what i have already applied...I will try the DVD though thanks everyone for your help!!!

Trim the sides down a bit. You don't have to take much off. Do you follow the shape of the cake card when smoothing your buttercream?

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 23 May 2011 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 9

I had trouble in my class for 3 weeks, with the buttercream. When I switched to the frosting in the link above (in the thread), it's nearly flawless, and I can even pipe it well. It's very humid and we have a watermelon in the fridge, so there's not any room to put the cake, but it does better in the refrigerator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%