Has Anyone Tried Transporting A Cake On The Caljava Stand?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 25 May 2011 , 9:58pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 21 May 2011 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 7

So, I have the caljava caddywampus stand; see my link below for a picture of one of my cakes I made with it a long time ago ... you can see what kind of stand I mean, if you're not already familiar with it.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1424286

Anyhow! My oldest son's birthday party is next weekend, and I was considering using this stand again. I've only used it once, and don't really remember how hard/easy it was (plus, I knew much less about caking then than I do now), and that time I was holding the party here at my house.

For this coming weekend, the party will be a few miles away, at a local YMCA. All the larger cakes I've made lately have been stacked with SPS, and I have no idea if the cakes would even survive transportation with this thing, let alone sitting outside in 85-95 degree weather with it.

The stand basically consists of a hollow PVC pipe running through the three tiers, each tier on its own plate with a hole in it. The pipes insert into the center hole, and into a connector piece that you screw on between tiers.

As you can see, no cakes rest on each other, and it can make for a very nice dramatic effect if the center pole is decorated as well. But I'm not sure if this is something I should even attempt. I don't think I can transport each cake individually and assemble on site, because the connectors need to be screwed into the plates before the cake is rested on it, and if that's the case, the plates would never sit flat. I suppose I could try transporting them on cakeboards and then assembling that ... but I don't remember (again!) how hard or easy it was to assemble before, so I would be chancing it.

Has anybody had any experience with this stand and transportation before? Thanks so much for any guidance!!!

6 replies
emiyeric Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 7

Okay, just looked at the stand more closely. I could conceivably put each cake on its own plate without inserting the center rod until I get to the location, though I would probably want to make a center hole in each cakeboard so that it would be easier to thread the PVC through. Either way, has anybody tried using this cake stand outdoors in warmer weather?

Thanks!

emiyeric Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 7

Nobody? ...

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 23 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 7

I've never used the Caljava stand, but I did make my own. You can see it in my pics. And I THINK (I could be totally wrong), but I think the spaces between each of the plates, was a lot more than the Caljava stand, so mine was probably more top heavy and harder to transport.

Anyway, I actually assembled each tier on the corresponding plate as I went up. For example, Thursday night I did the bottom tier with parrot feathers, Friday night, I put the next plate on and did the beach bucket, and then Saturday morning I put the next plate on and did the Cheeseburger.

I transported it all put together - had it butted up against the back bench seat in my Tahoe, and I sat in the back and held the top of the PVC pipe sticking out - oh yeah, I left the top bun off and put that when I got to the site. I also put on the flowers, and limes on site. It was a scary trip but it made it! icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Posted 24 May 2011 , 12:58am
post #5 of 7

Fabulous! I love your cake, and it is exactly the style of what I'm looking to do. Great suggestions, thank you. I will be working at the hospital Friday night, unfortunately, so I need to have everything ready for Saturday by Thursday (and I'm at the hospital again tomorrow night, so really I have Wednesday and Thursday nights to work on it) ... I'm sure it will ultimately all involve plenty of under-the-breath muttering and moaning, but I'm very excited currently icon_smile.gif.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:54am
post #6 of 7

It would be helpful if you could have someone drive while you hold onto it icon_smile.gif glad I could help - good luck!

emiyeric Posted 25 May 2011 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%