Duff's Fondant

Decorating By sweetsapphire Updated 22 May 2011 , 6:47am by scp1127

sweetsapphire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsapphire Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 7

I bought Duff's colored fondant, such as red, black and brown as it is hard to obtain those colors from white fondant. Duff's fondant to me is so hard to work with, it is very soft and tears easily. Has anybody tried the Satin Ice Fondant? Is it easy to work with. I am used to working with Wilton's fondant but I would like more colors. Any suggestions?

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 May 2011 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 7

Satin ice is very dry.Try adding more powdered sugar to Duff to stiffen it up.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 21 May 2011 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 7

I think Duffs fondant is the same as Fondarific, they are my new favorite.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 May 2011 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 7

We had a taste test at our last cake decorators meeting and all agreed that Duff's Fondant tastes best - the only other thing we noticed is that it's more like candy clay. Very hard at first but once warmed up in the microwave for a few seconds, acts beautifully. I too buy red, purple and black - ok, sometimes dark brown. They're the colors I have the most problems with.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:07am
post #5 of 7

Fondarific and Duff's are the best tasting and by far the easiest to work with... just my opinion. When I was planning my business I bought every one and did side by side comparisons.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:40am
post #6 of 7

...and...sorry but I cant' stand Duff's brand. (love you duff, but no..) It's a strange texture, strange flavor, and the 'white' is downright IVORY at best. ick ick

I make my own, or I get Satinice or even Petinice. I buy Duffs if I'm desperate, or just for tiny accent use.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:47am
post #7 of 7

I made a three tier birthday cake in December for family and friends. I am saying this because we don't normally get to see our cakes being served. I cleaned up the plates and I could not believe that there was very little fondant on the plates! They not only ate it, they ate a lot of it. It was Fondarific (Duff's). I get what colors I can at Michael's and order the rest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%