Need Strawberry Filling Options That Don't Include Jello

Baking By Hollandy Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 2:57am by UpAt2am

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

My husband asked for strawberry filling in his cake but his family (Dutch) doesn't like the sweetness of buttercream and even strawberry creamcheese buttercream, which is less sweet, was too sweet for them. I would like to use something strawberry for the cake filling but I'm kind of short on ideas.

so for a non-sweet, strawberry filling that doesn't use jello (or gelatin) what would you suggest? I have just a basic yellow cake for the base and was thinking of just whipped cream and fresh strawberries on top, but I really would like something in the middle.

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:16am
post #2 of 5

I use gourmet jam. Have you tried IMBC? It is not as sweet as powdered sugar buttercreams. I also add this jam to this buttercream as the middle filling and the jam on the other two in a four layer cake... then frost with the jam infused IMBC.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:43am
post #3 of 5

I do IMBC with some seedless jam blended in, and a touch of strawberry Lorann flavor. Yum.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 5

2 cups whipping cream, 1 small box instant vanilla pudding. Whip until peaks form and fold in chopped strawberries.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #5 of 5

the strawberry filling i use gets the most amazing reviews EVER! it's strawberry cream cheese, marshmallow fluff, strawberry preserves (my mom makes the preserves from scratch for me, but store bought is fine!), and strawberry extract. i don't use recipes...just go by look and taste. but maybe 2 small tubs of str. cc mixed with small jar of fluff. a TBSP or two of preserves, and 2 tsp. of extract? mix it all up and voila! it's not very sweet, but if you want less sweet, use more cream cheese/less fluff! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%