Attaching Isomalt Gems To Gum Paste

Decorating By milkmaid42 Updated 22 May 2011 , 1:28am by milkmaid42

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 21 May 2011 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone please advise me on the best method for attaching isomalt gems to a gum paste tiara? Should I use piping gel, or tylose glue? I don't want to affect the transparency, but I also don't want to melt the isomalt.

Also, how far in advance can they be made and attached? What is the best method to avoid clouding? This is for a June cake and we have rather high humidity here in Missouri.

I've not worked with this medium before so I would appreciate any hints or tips you might share with me.

Thanks!

Jan

5 replies
raymona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raymona Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 6

I often use karo syrup to attach pearls to isomalt pulled sugar flowers. The karo dries clear and doesn't affect the isomalt negatively. If you want to make your piece well ahead of time I would use an edible lacquer such as PME clear lacquer and spray the piece. The lacquer protects the isomalt from further exposure to humidity.

If you do not want to spray the piece place it in an airtight container with desiccant until just before you need it.

If you plan to work with isomalt regularly, you may want to purchase a hygrometer (shows the humidity levels of the room) so that you can if time allows work on a day when the humidity is lower. Room dehumidifiers are also helpful.

Mona

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 21 May 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 6

I have a question....Made my first isomalt gems....loved doing them. But, what do you use to pour the isomalt in these small jewels....Tried and eyedropper, but the sugar hardened in the dropper...What is the best way to pour into these molds...

Appreciate your help

raymona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raymona Posted 21 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6

I use a flexible silicone 1 cup measuring cup. The brand is Isi ordered mine from Amazon. I can flex it into a narrow spout. Advantage of the silicone is that when the isomalt has cooled in the cup you can flex the remain away and retrieve the material you haven't used.

Another method I have used is a silicone baby bottle brand Prince Lionheart available from Amazon. I enlarged the silicone nipple to allow isomalt to flow easier. The trick here is to have the isomalt hot enough to pour but not too hot, then it shoots out. I heat the isomalt in the bottle without the lid on . I always, always use some form of protection on my hands when working with isomalt. I use nomex gloves when handling the silicone cups for extended periods of time. I wear cotton liners and latex gloves otherwise. I can pull off the outside glove really fast if it gets splashed on my hands.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 May 2011 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 6

I also saw on Amazing Cakes a decorator used one of those silicone muffin cups to heat the isomalt in in the microwave and then used the same cup to pour. And she was pouring in those really small gem molds too!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 22 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely try the Karo.
I already have a hygrometer used in my cheesemaking, but once again never thought of using here for isomalt. Thanks.

I purchased a candy funnel with a stopper in anticipation of this project, but now I wonder if I couldn't have saved money by simply using a silicone measuring cup!

I have already been planning to order the lacquer spray for the gum paste flowers I love to make. I have been using the lacquer and thinner in the bottles, but have thought the spray would work better on some of the more delicate ones. Now I am pleased to see it could have a further use with the isomalt. (It helps my conscience to justify the expense somewhat...)

Thanks for the information. I learn so much here and love CC for all the different techniques and new applications for other things.

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%