Modeling Chocolate Vs. Fondant?

Decorating By sugarxosugar143 Updated 21 May 2011 , 10:58pm by sugarxosugar143

sugarxosugar143 Posted 21 May 2011 , 10:47am
post #1 of 6

Most of my customers choose cake without fondant covering because they don't like the taste and/or texture of the fondant. Which bums me out because i love working with fondant and because i think fondant covered cakes look better, most customers agree but yet they still rather the cake taste good, which is understandable. BUT i was watching a cake show on foodnetwork the other day and they kept saying they were covering the cakes with modeling chocolate. Now i have used modeling chocolate before to make little details for a cake but never to cover a cake. Does anyone know of a good recipe or any tips and tricks on how to cover a cake with modeling chocolate??? Or if anyone has any tips on how to make my fondant taste better? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! icon_smile.gif thank you!!

5 replies
peg818 Posted 21 May 2011 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 6

I watched a demo recently where the girl covered the cake
with modeling chocolate. She did it with two seperate pieces
one for the top and one strip for the sides the blended in
the top edge.

To make fondant more appealing you can mix fondant and
candy clay. You, also, may want to try choco-pan fondant
it's pricey but IMO the best tasting I have had

jewordsoflife Posted 21 May 2011 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

the top edge.

What's is Choco-pan fondant? I've never heard of that before. Is it easy to work with because I've been having fits with my MMF! It's usually just with any that I've colored (white is generally fine), especially if I've had to use allot of color (I use either Wilton's gel or Americolor)! I'm looking for a new recipe to see if I can find one that works better for me. Maybe this would work? Love to know what your thoughts are.
Thanks!

shaekae81 Posted 21 May 2011 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 6

I do not have any tips on the modeling chocolate recipe or how to cover cakes with it....BUT...I do plan on attempting to try mixing 50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant soon to see if I can combat the affects of humity and warm days....here (Germany) it's rare to find a house with AC and if it's humid outside, it's humid inside, too...uggh! Anyway....here's wishing us both luck! icon_smile.gif

As for making the fondant taste better, have you tried Michele Foster's Fondant? It's the recipe I use now and everyone LOVES it! People that thought they hated fondant will request mine (Michele's....lol).

sugarxosugar143 Posted 21 May 2011 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaekae81

I do not have any tips on the modeling chocolate recipe or how to cover cakes with it....BUT...I do plan on attempting to try mixing 50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant soon to see if I can combat the affects of humity and warm days....here (Germany) it's rare to find a house with AC and if it's humid outside, it's humid inside, too...uggh! Anyway....here's wishing us both luck! icon_smile.gif

As for making the fondant taste better, have you tried Michele Foster's Fondant? It's the recipe I use now and everyone LOVES it! People that thought they hated fondant will request mine (Michele's....lol).

No i havent! ill have to try it! thank you! icon_smile.gif

sugarxosugar143 Posted 21 May 2011 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

the top edge.