Ganache Soup???

Lounge By sebrina Updated 22 May 2011 , 4:53am by mcaulir

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:37am
post #1 of 6

So I tried to make ganache for a cake I have to finish tonight. I heated 2 cups of heavy whipping cream & poured it over 4 cups of milk chocolate chips & stirred it till it was all melted. Now it is soupy! I have let it sit till it came to room temp, still soupy. Put it in the fridge for a couple of hours, still soupy! Any ideas??? icon_cry.gif

TIA!

5 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #2 of 6

Reheat the mixture and add more chocolate chips. I'm guessing that using milk chocolate is what messed up the 2:1 ratio, it's going to be creamier then if you had used semi-sweet or dark chocolate. Place in the fridge to firm up, or in a pinch I have placed it in the freezer, setting a timer to stir every 10-15 mins or so until set enough for you to use. Good luck!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 21 May 2011 , 3:57am
post #3 of 6

Two things went wrong. First, the 2:1 ratio is by weight, not volume. Two cups of cream is 16 ounces, but four cups of chocolate chips is only about 24 ounces, not 32. So you only had about 1.5 times as much chocolate as cream, not twice as much. Second, milk chocolate makes for a thinner ganache than dark chocolate. With milk or white chocolate you need closer to a 3:1 ratio.

As bakingkat said, you just need to reheat it and add more chocolate. You'll need to add four more cups of chips in order to get it to the right consistency, so you'll have a lot of ganache! Keep in mind, however, that if you don't need that much, you can just reheat half of it and add two cups of chips. The remaining too-runny ganache might be a good consistency for pouring over another cake.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 May 2011 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 6

I was going to say the same thing. Dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate are mixed at a 2:1 ratio by weight and milk chocolate and white chocolate are mixed at a 3:1 ratio by weight. You need to add more chocolate to your reheated mixture.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 21 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks every one! I added some more chocolate & you guys were right! It fixed it right up!

Any idea how long this stuff keeps? Since now I have enough left to frost a wedding cake? LOL! Thanks again!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 22 May 2011 , 4:53am
post #6 of 6

Freeze and it will keep for weeks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%