Cutout Letters

Decorating By ebwmom Updated 21 May 2011 , 8:13pm by aces413

ebwmom Posted 20 May 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 9

what are the best cutters for fondant letters and where would I get them?
I have seen some cakes with letters that have curly ends and look really cute, any idea how to make those? Thanks

8 replies
nikki1273 Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 9

More than likely you are referring to tappits. One source for these is globalsugararts.com. There are also several tutorials on how to use this product on you tube. Some people have stated that these can be difficult to work with. I do not have any of these yet but am considering ordering some myself. To me it would be worth practicing because I love the end result! HTH icon_smile.gif

mommynana Posted 21 May 2011 , 12:35am
post #3 of 9

I just got these but i haven`t tried them yet http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002INR2OE/?tag=cakecentral-20

ebwmom Posted 21 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #5 of 9

Thanks everyone for your help and I will be checking out websites tonight.

aces413 Posted 21 May 2011 , 2:13am
post #6 of 9

Hate to hijack your thread, but does anyone have tips on how to get letters out of their cutters? I don't have these yet, but I do have the Wilton ABC-123 cutters and the letter B, for example, is the devil. I cannot get that one out of the cutter without totally mangling it...so a few of the cutters in that set have become useless to me. I've tried extra cornstarch/powdered sugar, I've poked the fondant with the back of a paintbrush, a knife, etc, I've blown on them...nothing seems to work.

I haven't tried refrigerating them for a few minutes, but maybe that would keep them more firm and less likely to smush?

CWR41 Posted 21 May 2011 , 3:27am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces413

does anyone have tips on how to get letters out of their cutters?

It'll never stick if you use a layer of plastic wrap between your fondant and your cutter.

BeesKnees578 Posted 21 May 2011 , 3:54am
post #8 of 9

I usually roll my fondant fairly thin and let it set for maybe 5 minutes. I have a little mound of cornstarch next to where I am cutting and dip the cutter into it before pressing into the cornstarch dusted fondant.

I hated them when I first bought them because I couldn't get them out either and was frustrated because it was a waste. Just took awhile to get used to them...love them now!

aces413 Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 9

Great, thanks to you both! I'll try both methods and see which works best for me. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%